Did I dream this - PCF on TV?

To: Dan (HERMAND) Peter (BOUGHTONP) 6 of 33
Let's ask!  PB, can you fill in any more details please?
To: Dan (HERMAND) 7 of 33
The show was called Mercenaries and it was on Bravo. Psycho is right about quite a bit of it. PB was definitely one of them, I think they called him "underlord" on it.

I have a copy of the video, I'll see if I can upload it somewhere. Not sure I can really upload it to YouTube as I wouldn't really know what to say about it. I just remember grabbing a copy when someone uploaded it ages back.
EDITED: 15 Apr 2021 19:45 by DAVE!!
To: Dave!! 8 of 33
You can grab the vid from here if anyone wants it: https://mega.nz/file/fI4HyaLC#il0zhRSC4go7InozJ1SYSsfrp8FsHM31Zd52xEw-uLw
To: Dave!! 9 of 33
Fuck, that's funny. PB, you were gorgeous. You must have followed me down the dark paths...
To: Dave!! 10 of 33
Thats awesome!

I recognise Simon, milko and PB but who are the other two? Off here or just ransoms to make up the numbers?
To: Dave!! 11 of 33
Oh what a legend! 
To: koswix 12 of 33
I'm fairly sure they were regulars at the time, but I also have no idea who they are.  It'd be nice if there was still a big crowd around here now, but I'm also pleased to not be getting confused with Psycho Hippy every other post.
To: ALL13 of 33
ahh, what a memory. I think it was me they called Overboard, randomly? I barely actually got to play anything at all? Now I'm going to grab that video and watch, top archiving work there Dave!!

I think there were two guys on the team who weren't forum members, they were people Simon knew. Brothers, if memory serves, one was trying to get a web CMS business off the ground at the time. If memory serves they had a little bicker at one point over getting money off their mum for the day. 
To: milko 14 of 33
Oh and I remember that PB talked up his Unreal Tournament skillz a lot in the buildup and then almost immediately died by firing a shotgun into a wall right in front of him and dying from the blast/ricochet/dunno m8.

To: ALL15 of 33
Well, I've skimmed the video. Gosh, the memories! It was an amazingly sunny day and it was all just down the road from the pub that ended up being the venue for the last several southern Forum Meats. I seem to remember we got some prizes too, something like a mousemat and a fairly crappy PC game.

Anyway, it was a very fun day. My lack of telegenic-ness was well reflected in my number of minutes on TV.
To: milko 16 of 33
I knew my hoarding skills would come in handy some day :)
To: milko 17 of 33
 :'-D 

What's the game you're playing in the first round? Looks like C&C Generals. 

Edit - ah, just seen the game credits in the credits.  :-)
EDITED: 17 Apr 2021 22:42 by GRAPHITONE
To: Some call me... (PSYCHO_GEEZER) 18 of 33
Ah, Mercenaries. A part of me would have been happy for that to remain forgotten.

A bright-eyed dweeb in the first year of university - my first solo trip to London adding to the excitement of the chance to finally demonstrate my brilliance - arriving at the venue in Charlotte Street to find a gathering of people outside, waiting and waiting and waiting.

Apparently their servers were overheating - it was a sunny day, but I don't recall it being hot. They came out a few times to tell us "soon", but we were still waiting for quite a while. At one point they were going to give up and send us home, giving us each a free game for compensation.

Eventually I guess we were given t-shirts and instructed to go down the stairs and strike a pose. My siblings are the posers in my family, not me, as will be evident from the feeble attempt. I'd have been fine if they'd said "that looked dumb, go back and do something else".

I think the team name was decided in advance, but at no point were we asked names or anything else - I don't know whether Simon, Jason Bradbury, or Bravo supplied those - likewise being told we were from Halifax - I think our original application said "the Internet", but I don't know if they specifically rejected that, or whether Simon deliberately or accidentaly gave Halifax as location.

Spectating whilst Simon tried to land a B52 was even less exciting than it looked, yet still more memorable than the tank battle which I don't think we even got to spectate and I remember nothing at all about.

Anyway, as some point we eventually got sat in front of the computers - wondering whether we would be playing Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Unreal Tournament, or any other familiar game - but no, it was a new mod that nobody had ever heard of (let alone played), bearing no resemblance to the UT engine it used.

Initially the game started in a cave and I had either an AK or an MP5, but a short moment later it restarted - I don't know if there was a false start, if that was supposed to be a "practise" opportunity, or if it was just filler whilst filming the intro - and I found myself somewhere else, with a shotgun that I didn't choose - the shotgun has never been my choice of weapon, in any game.

A few seconds later, whilst still trying to get my bearings, I see an enemy and try to duck behind cover, but I didn't duck as far as expected so instead stand up, fire, and promptly die. Then sit twiddling my thumbs until the round ended, hoping to redeem myself in a second round that never occurred.

I still don't know whether it was because my character stood up slower than I expected, or because the mod fired projectiles from the belly rather than the torso/eyes, maybe the other guy headshotted me, or some combination of all those.

Despite apparently "winning", our only prize was a second free game each. I don't even remember keeping the t-shirts.

To: Manthorp 19 of 33
Oi! Less of the past tense. :@
To: milko 20 of 33
And, as the later performance of PCF|AI consistently demonstrated, I absolutely was the unstoppable alpha and omega. :P
To: milko 21 of 33
I don't remember any mouse mats? Definitely none of the hardware they showed.

Fairly sure it was "here's a bunch of games, distribute among yourself", and I think Simon and/or the brothers(?) got the better selections.

I initially got an off-road racing game "Insane", then later Delta Force 2.

EDITED: 20 Apr 2021 17:48 by BOUGHTONP
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 22 of 33
Well, you've certainly taken the shine off that 3rd Party memory PB!

Sorry to hear it was a bit of a crap one all round
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 23 of 33
I was sure I had a mouse mat! But, not all that confidently sure now you're disagreeing. Maybe I got a cheap game instead. 
I have no recollection of my performance in the FPS round - which was the only round I got to play too. Fairly sure I didn't see much action.

It was surely objectively a crap day but I remember it quite fondly all the same - lots of fun to be found if not taking it seriously. And with the benefit of many years hindsight.
To: milko 24 of 33
Well I don't specifically remember no mouse mats either, so you might have got one.

And yeah, I didn't mean to suggest it was a bad memory, but the highlight was meeting forumites rather than playing games.

To: ALL25 of 33
I just went back and found the emails, and ahead of time we were given a shortlist of five games that we would be playing three of:

> CounterStrike, Delta Force 2, X Plane, Operation Flashpoint, Falcon 4

I think that was what miffed me about the unknown mod - I was already good at CS, and had no doubt been practising on demos of DF2 and OF, only to be presented with something different to what we'd been told.

Also, regarding the other team members, Philip (the hacker) was Simon's friend, but I think "Metalhead" was Luke Redpath? "Bash" might have been Beseku or Dan Cross, both ex-regulars who were in the original email chain.