Poo

To: william (WILLIAMA) 16 of 27
Had the exact same experience building my current system. Things have moved on a long way since my Core i5 system from 2009! Saying that, I guess one the reasons why it seems a big change is just because of how long systems last for these days.

Rewind a chunk and it was typical to pretty much replace a PC after 3-4 years, nowadays it's not difficult to keep a system going for 8+ years with a couple of minor upgrades here and there. Hence when we do eventually do a full replacement, a lot of things have changed in the meantime.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 17 of 27
Glad you're up and running now.
To: Manthorp 18 of 27
Thank you kindly. 

My heart sank a bit this morning when my Plex box was missing from the Network. It was hanging on the restart from a recent Windows update with a message that the memory had decreased "Press F1 to continue or F2 for setup". Sure enough, only 8 of 16GB showing. I pulled all the sticks out and reseated them, which restored the full amount. Hopefully that's it.
To: ALL19 of 27
Those of you waiting on the least bit of news from me (which not even I do) will be delighted to know that I got in excess of two more years of service from the PSU mentioned in this thread. It is now totally defunct, failing paper clip and multimeter tests. Seems to have been killed by a very long run of FlowFrames, a video frame interpolation app which uses GPU, CPU, Disk and RAM intensively. It probably lasted for over two hours of this and suffered numerous similar insults in the last couple of weeks. I'll be interested to see whether it actually finished when the new PSU arrives.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 20 of 27
Had a work NAS fail unexpectedly a few weeks back. Not a drive issue (the 4 RAID drives in it are probably fine); a 'zombie' celeron/chipset (LPC clock) issue we were never notified of. Luckily this was our formerly main file server that had been relegated to backup use several years ago ... I look at these devices differently now.

https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=157459
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 21 of 27
That all looks a bit complicated to me. I just bought a new PSU which should arrive tomorrow. There's a sorry looking pile of snipped-through cable ties as well. Doesn't hold the same excitement for me as building PCs used to have. I did (briefly) consider buying a PSU from a local PC shop, the kind of place where they still offer advice on how to set up your config.sys and autoexec.bat. Then I saw how much their cheapest PSU was. Sad really. 
To: william (WILLIAMA) 22 of 27
Yeah I'm not down with smd soldering, though I did something similar -ish to convert an old radeon gpu from windows to mac (also had to reflash the bios). Surprisingly it worked, and is stuck in a G3 powermac under my desk that hasn't been booted in ~10-years. Where does the time go?
EDITED: 29 Apr 2023 12:23 by DSMITHHFX
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 23 of 27
Ho Ho. Or possibly ho hum. So the new PSU went in like a charm. It's a nice quiet Gigabyte jobby, fully modular (although tbh I've never quite seen the point of having the mainboard supply cable as modular, unless you intend to have two PSUs for a load of devices, with only one mobo). 

Of course, because it was so straightforward, I had to have a poke about in things like device manager and event viewer and suchlike. 

Spotted that there'd been about half a dozen BIOS updates since mine, including some major security bits and bobs. So I stuck a new BIOS in. That worked like a dream too. 

Then I checked my email and found out that my copy of MS Office 2019 had been deactivated by the BIOS update. As the thread title expresses it, "POO!" That nice man in Slough who sold me my copy doesn't seem to be around anymore, so I'm seriously contemplating becoming legit and subscribing to Office 365. I suppose I could go Open Sauce with Libre Office.
EDITED: 1 May 2023 18:34 by WILLIAMA
To: william (WILLIAMA) 24 of 27
I use both and prefer libre except sometimes it messes up the formatting of Word docs if there is some kind of elaborate layout with pictures. Other than that it transparently opens and writes valid .docx etc formats. The Excel clone is pretty usable for an amateur like me.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 25 of 27
I've used Libre Office (and Open Office before that) for years, on and off. I briefly used it for my main office suite. Interesting differences, and mainly down to personal preference I suppose, but I always liked MS Office best. I can see why things might be the other way. It wouldn't break my heart if I was "stuck with" Libre Office.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 26 of 27
Mind you, when I started work we had a typewriter for everyday letters, and most memos were written with a pen. 
To: william (WILLIAMA) 27 of 27
I like LO because it's free, and also because I hate Microsoft and the horse the it rode in on.