Christmas Plans

To: milko 11 of 33
And now experts are saying we shouldn't be mixing at Christmas anyway, and that it's a very bad idea.
I think the fact that a vaccine is rolling out people think we're home and dry, when in fact we're not even close and any rule relaxing will result in deaths.

A case of how many extra deaths is deemed "acceptable" since it's just a stat now.
To: ANT_THOMAS 12 of 33
And now an anxious wait to see what changes they actually decide on this week, if any. I suppose in typical Tory fashion it will come via leaks and rumour so they can modify it according to whatever howls the press make during the week. 
To: william (WILLIAMA) 13 of 33
I'll be doing the normal walk on Christmas Eve with my kids and their partners to give each of the Doubler Stones on Addingham Moor a bottle of beer. Although it's four households, as it's outdoors and known to be a tad breezy up there, I'm content that it's Covid-compliant.

Christmas day will be at Charlotte's, with her son and daughter. Our Christmas meal was going to be at a local restaurant, but unless Kirklees drops from tier three to two, that's not going to happen. If things stay the same, the restaurant has proposed a (cheaper) Chritmas meal in a box which we'll go for.
To: ANT_THOMAS 14 of 33
We seem to be ok. We had a mild flu in mid-November, MrsD had a a persistent cough after so her doctor said we should get tested. She's been on antibiotics which seem to have cleared up her cough.
To: milko 15 of 33
Wales have made it two households max by law, so I guess that's us staying home with just us and the cat. I'm relieved we're finally able to just know what we're doing. Somewhat apprehensive about how cooped up my wife and boy will feel because they're frankly quite annoying together after a few hours at home with no big things to do!
To: ALL16 of 33
So.....
That fucked up anyone's plans?
To: ALL17 of 33
Just read about further lock downs over the pond and fears the virus is mutating to become faster spreading. Not sure of the truth of that. Im just outside a major city that is in lock down (Toronto) and cases seem to be growing by leaps and bounds. Big family event is tonight on Zoom. Charades are a Christmas tradition with my extended family. So, can't let that tradition die - Zoom charades could be a good laugh or a big bust. We shall see.     
To: ANT_THOMAS 18 of 33
They’d already been done for when Wales chopped the households max to two. So it was more an extra nail or two in plans coffin. It maybe almost stopped my parents from thinking it’s just the Welsh first minister being a cock - except that no of course it didn’t. 

I already know at least one set of people planning to ignore it and do a three household bubble on Xmas day in London. 
EDITED: 19 Dec 2020 21:13 by MILKO
To: ANT_THOMAS 19 of 33
We'd not entirely decided what we were doing. We were possibly (Sian a bit anxious about it) meeting up with my parents and sister's family. But the 2 households thing in Wales took the pressure off that.

Instead we'll be opening the wine as the kids unwrap their presents and spending the day just the 4 of us. So today's news hasn't affected us. Unlike lots of people who are now last minute shopping and /massive/ queues outside shops.
To: ANT_THOMAS 20 of 33
Yeah, a bit. We were going to have my sister and dad up to visit. My sister lives by herself and is in our support bubble, so that part can likely still happen (although she'll be traveling from England to Scotland). My dad's visit though will not be happening now.

Of course the bigger annoyance with all this is that we had not posted presents because he was supposed to be visiting, so now we'll have to try and sort something else out.
To: ALL21 of 33
Girlfriend's brother is in Cardiff and happens to be self isolating at the moment after contact with someone positive. Would have been fine by Christmas, but to escape Wales last night would have meant him coming up when isolating, he's decided to stay and spend Christmas with some friends. Delay Christmas to Feb or something. She's still going to her parents.

I'm just going to do Christmas day itself with my side, no overnights.
To: Dave!! 22 of 33
Thought wee Nicky was shutting the border?
To: koswix 23 of 33
Sort of, it's closed but there are exceptions. Apparently one of those exceptions is to visit an extended household. Hence my sister should still be able to visit legally, unless they change anything last minute!

To: Dave!! 24 of 33
Likewise, I *think* I'm legally able to travel between mine and Gaynor's, due to the extended household exception. My original plan was to go to my sister's (in the middle of nowhere in the borders) on Christmas day, where my parents will also be going, then drive to Gaynor's in the evening. She was going to be at her mum & brother (who she's been looking after, but at a distance) during the day, and we'd then pretty much not leave the house for a week (which is usually what happens anyway).

My dad's still determined to get to my sister's, but isn't wild about driving at night with his advancing age. It's too far for him to do there and back in daylight without leaving at 7am and having Christmas dinner done by 1pm, which will NEVER happen. He figures that it's better to be driving home in daylight on Boxing day, regardless of law/advice. My mum was not as keen to go, but when I suggested they could come to my flat and *I* could cook them Christmas dinner, her resolve strengthened, and now she's much happier about going to my sister's.

I'm still not sure what I should do; everyone else thinks I should just do what was planned. We've all been taking suitable precautions against the virus, and it should all be fine. Better to cross the border near my sister's than on the M74. Spirit-of-the-law-not-letter-of-the-law and all that. I'm slightly more nervous - visions of being turned back at the border, nephew being a plague-bearer, phone and numberplate tracking, and all that. Also the nagging feeling that, as ever, I'm doing Christmas to make everyone else happy, and what would make me happy would be a day of sitting around in my pants playing computer games, watching films, and cooking something nice for myself, without the risk of having to sit through Michael McIntyre.
EDITED: 23 Dec 2020 09:59 by WINGNUTKJ
To: ALL25 of 33
We're in hard -ish lockdown starting Boxing Day, until then free to spread covid like there's no tomorrow. So to speak.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 26 of 33
Well, we're now in tier 4 from boxing day onwards. We were in tier 2. That means - not a lot really. 
To: william (WILLIAMA) 27 of 33
Some have reckoned delaying the lockdown by the five days (from announcement) here will mean ~2,500 more dead from covid. That's just in Ontario.
EDITED: 24 Dec 2020 14:42 by DSMITHHFX
To: ALL28 of 33
We still managed the Manthorp clan annual (socially distanced) Christmas Eve walk to the Doubler Stones on Addingham Moor, to give the alleged 'Druid Altars' (fun fact: wind-eroded natural formations) their annual two bottles of beer.
To: Manthorp 29 of 33
2nd pic looks a bit David Blackwood:

To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 30 of 33
Or the cover of a lesser-known Incredible String Band LP