A Christmas Carol (Beeb/HBO) 2019 TWR

To: ALL1 of 9
Crime against Dickens and pathos. I owe you five words.
To: Manthorp 2 of 9
Was that the one with a foul mouthed Guy Pierce as Scrooge?
To: graphitone 3 of 9
Yes. It really got on my tits. I enjoy a good re-imagining - I loved Ianucci's David Copperfield - but this just pissed on A Christmas Carol to no perceptible purpose.
To: Manthorp 4 of 9
I think it did have some redeeming features, I thought it was well set and looked the business. 

I didn't get on at all with the strange bonfire bit, the (potential IIRC) sexual favours from Mrs Cratchitt and the last episode seemed to run out of steam in comparison to the first two. 

But it was always on a hiding to nothing. It could never top the Muppet's Christmas Carol as top viewing over the festive period, that film has brought more tears to my eyes than I care to mention. 

To: Manthorp 5 of 9
I believe Dickens wrote the part with Alastair Sim in mind.
To: graphitone 6 of 9
You're kinder to it than I am. Maybe one day my outrage will dissipate and I'll give it another pop.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 7 of 9
Have you seen the 'fourth ghost' in the Sim version? In the scene in his bedroom after his redemption, you see the unit director refelected in his wardrobe mirror a couple of times.

I have a theory, which I'd be surprised if I haven't shared on Teh before, about - if not a potential Sim-beater, then at least a worthy new addition to the canon - Paul Whitehouse.  He can do nasty, he can do sentiment, and his face fits both.
To: Manthorp 8 of 9
Speaking of remakes, I'll be interested to (eventually) see Ben Wheatley's take on Rebecca.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 9 of 9
Yes, worth waiting for, I hope.