Utopia

To: ALL1 of 3
Been in the meeja recently, mainly because it's given John Cusack's career a boost. Now, JC seems like a pretty "HOORAY" kind of chap, and I don't resent him getting a boost etc etc. BUT, I've been watching this on the Amazon Prime doodad. 

It's not good.

It's like the production team of Scrubs tries to do Lovecraft, without giving up any of their values or styles.

In episode 1 the viewers get to meet a gang of four geeky friends who investigate a supernatural comic book mystery surrounding a hero called Jessica. In episode 2 Jessica, who is apparently real, kills the nicest of the four geeky friends because "a team should only have one leader". This happens because the screen-writer thought the death of a big star in "Psycho" was really cool and apparently planned it before anything else. Sadly, the rest of the show is shaping up as crudely and inauthentically as this.

Even more sadly, this crap is based on a subtle and genuinely weird Channel 4 series from a few years back. I suppose if there's any good to come of this, people may look at the original.
To: All 2 of 3
Oh yeah, 193 word review
To: william (WILLIAMA) 3 of 3
OK, I took one for the team and finished the first season. I didn't especially want to, but Mrs WilliamA said we might as well now that we've started (heard that one before).

No, it's no better. As I watched, I started to remember bits and pieces of the original - largely because they cast several similar(ish)-looking actors in the same roles. Curiously, Amazon are also showing the original, but since Jim lent me a copy, I'll get round to that as soon as the memory of this version has faded.