GeForce RTX 3070

To: william (WILLIAMA) 6 of 9
I've always found that ~£200 is the sweet spot for gfx cards for the best bang to buck ratio. I've always kept pretty close to that with all the cards I've bought but never really had any affinity to either of the big two. Last upgrade was about 18 months ago and I replaced an ageing 560gtx that I'd had for around 8 years

I've rarely gone above 1080 for gaming (I do run project cars 2 and GTA V over three screens for 1080x5760) and my rx580 runs it all fine and dandy, albeit a little noisily when the fans spin up to full speed.
To: graphitone 7 of 9
Agreed, I think I paid similar for my 1070Ti a bit back. Still handles most games I throw at it with ease.
To: Dave!! 9 of 9
I had a recent flurry of leap-frogging bits over each other for the sake of my Vive performance, and now my 1070(bog standard) is probably the laggardly component. But upgrading to a Ryzen 3800X (which necessitated upgrading the mobo to a Gigabyte X570 UD, which in turn led to a Gallic shrug and replacing O.L.D. Ram with 16gb (tbh) Viper Steel 3600MHz DDR4 (RAM compensates for its dreariness by outrageously butching up its nomenclature)) was probably less significant overall than swapping from a middling SSD C Drive to NVMe.

I've got two obvious bottlenecks now: the 1070 and my HDD drive (significant, because Steam lives there). The HDD replacement would have to be a 2tb NVMe, which would make my eyes water a bit; but less so than upgrading the GPU. Of course, flogging the old components offsets the costs a bit.

And then, of course, there's the fucking Valve Index winking saucily at me from the wings...