Should I get a Huion H1161 ?

To: koswix 12 of 29
When I was doing 3d stuffs, a tablet (even a wacom 4x6") was great for building the spline models.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 13 of 29
What sort of 3D? I can see it being ace for direct modelling like Blender etc., but CAD is very keyboard/number driven. Organic shapes are much less common.
To: koswix 14 of 29
...but not always.
EDITED: 24 Apr 2020 08:45 by MANTHORP
Attachments:
To: Manthorp 15 of 29
"drill your own" - YJ?
To: koswix 16 of 29
Drill Your Own Hole, the first album by the awesome Gaye Bykers on Acid. In some lists as the best album gimmick ever, the first thousand pressings allegedly didn't have a hole in the centre. It wasn't exactly true - they just didn't have holes in the label. That there is an ultra-rare 'undrilled' copy.
Attachments:
To: ANT_THOMAS 17 of 29
That'd take far more effort than I'm willing to spend.

If you're lucky I'll take some unboxing photos. :P

To: ALL18 of 29
I think we've reached peak off-topic.
To: koswix 19 of 29
Part of me is wondering how beneficial I'll find it - I'm probably comfortable enough with a mouse to not see accuracy benefits, but being able to vary pressure should be useful enough that I use it for layer masks at least every other month. :)

Plus it'll allow me to dabble with drawing/painting, without worrying about having/wasting physical materials. Hopefully that lasts beyond the first fortnight...

To: Manthorp 20 of 29
Doubt it - there must be plenty more examples in the archives.

(But someone else will have to look; I'm off to wrestle with Python.)

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 21 of 29
Way easier to setup your camera and just film you unboxing it and stick it on youtube. Come on Peter!

I'll unbox something in return if you like?
To: koswix 22 of 29
Yeah, not CAD. This: https://www.hash.com/home-1-en
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 23 of 29
I didn't find my admittedly ultra-lowend Wacom graphire very useful for freehand digital "drawing" and "painting". In fact I hated it for those things. What I did find it extremely useful for was as a mouse substitute. I'm left-handed, but I mouse right-handed and run into carpal tunnel repetiive strain or wtf it's called nowadays, and the tablet is really good for giving my right wrist a break (NJ). I suppose if you're straight-up right-handed, there's no benefit. The other things are drawing spline-based paths in both photoshop and 3d, and cleaning up dusty/linty/scratchy photo scans. Really, really excels at both these types of tasks that demand extreme precision.
To: ANT_THOMAS 24 of 29
That'd just result in half-arsed crap, and I only do full-arsed crap. :@

Even if I skipped getting decent camera angles and ignored audio quality, there's the challenge of getting decent lighting without any studio equipment - I could probably fudge something with the relatively constant subdued natural light there is today, but not if it's too bright or cloudy like it has been on other days.

Also, I aint using YouTube, and looking into PeerTube/similar is more work.

To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 25 of 29
If it was ultra-lowend it presumably had limitations on how you could hold the stylus? I deliberately went for a model allowing tilting because I wanted something that was more natural to use.

I tend to work with bezier splines, so it'll be interesting to compare that to drawing them freehand - I am expecting it to take a bit of practice.

I don't currently find mousing a problem for touching up photos, but I do intend to over-use the tablet for (almost) everything at first to get used to it and see if there's surprises to where it works.

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 26 of 29
Killjoy
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 27 of 29
IIRC it did allow tilting (does. I still have it but it's at the office, forgot to take it home), but has pretty low dpi and it is just small, which in a way is an advantage because it doesn't take up much desk space, is easy to carry, and can be traversed in a flick of the wrist which is why it makes an awesome mouse substitute when mapped full screen across spanned displays. My beef with using it for drawing and painting is there's no tactile feedback, you can't smell graphite dust and turpentine, undo is too easy, and you are looking elsewhere. I've done enough of the real thing to find it a pretty lame substitute. I also dislike digital artwork that tries to mimic real media in general.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 28 of 29
Doesn't need to be Hollywood!

To: ANT_THOMAS 29 of 29
I will bring you joy in other ways.

(Ones that don't involve misbehaving autofocus... :P)