What are we all doing for a living?

To: ANT_THOMAS 21 of 183
I am working in the technology department of a finance company. Think lots of transparency and audits by the likes of the SEC, ESMA and FCA in The UK.

The UK used to come under the jurisdiction of ESMA, but then Brexit happened.
EDITED: 19 Apr 2020 18:34 by MATT
To: ANT_THOMAS 22 of 183
I draw pipe fittings to help multinational megacorps rape the earth and poison the air.

Almost 1 year in, it's as boring as it sounds, but hopefully will lead to something better.

Official title is 'mechanical design engineer', but that's rather overstated for what I actually do. We're essentially one level up from blacksmiths. 
To: ANT_THOMAS 23 of 183
I work as a network engineer for a.. Christ, what do we do these days? We used to have our own ISP, but then the other ISP that owns us got arsey about it so our ISP team split off into their own company and effectively became the opposition. We do a lot of cloud hosting and integration with public clouds. I spend a lot of time buried in comms racks wondering where that cable is going and why is it there and how is this network even functioning without it catching fire? I look at some of the hosted firewalls that we run and occasionally make small changes very carefully. I try to persuade my customers to spend more money than they want to spend because their switches are 11 years old and we're all going to have some really bad days when the switch fails.

We do anything for the cash, basically.
To: ANT_THOMAS 24 of 183
I sit at a desk twiddling my thumbs all day until something breaks.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 25 of 183
That is dangerously close to um... never mind.
To: ALL26 of 183
I bought an old job centre building and turned it into a music shop / music teaching studio / music venue. Just coming to the realisation doing all that on my own was a fucking stupid idea so taking in like minded tenants. Got a guy who's built a recording studio so far and was just on the cusp of signing up a guy who produces electronic music but then some shit hit a fan.

After about two decades of umming and ahhing about it I've got all my teaching now working remotely and am currently scrambling with the difference between marketing music lessons to T h e W o r l d as opposed to a 15 mile radius of my building.
EDITED: 23 Apr 2020 00:14 by MOUSE
To: ANT_THOMAS 27 of 183
I work for a well known exam board that does both academic and vocational qualifications.  My role is basic customer services; phone calls, emails etc about pretty much anything we do.  It's either a basic question/request that I answer/deal with or something more complicated that I pass on.
To: ALL28 of 183
I take care of the computer plumbing for a big bank so that they can talk to other big banks and exchanges and customers about buying high and selling low (is that the right way?) really quickly. Basically, I work for The Man.
To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 29 of 183
Also, I spend a little bit of time every now and then reminiscing and wondering what Drew (and IxiPete and lots of others) are up to, so I'm both  (bounce) and  :C that you're around but not totally awesome  (hugleft)
To: Serg (NUKKLEAR) 30 of 183
I think he's probably still totally awesome. Just totally awesome on disability benefits.
To: Mouse 31 of 183
This is indeed true, I meant totally awesome situation. My dirty forner bad English  :'C 
To: Mouse 32 of 183
(hug)
To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 33 of 183
GAFR
To: Manthorp 34 of 183
Rooms are all I know :'S
To: ALL35 of 183
Worked in IT for a few businesses - last one was being the IT department for a small, private secondary school. Was given loads of extra duties like helping the students produce a 2-hour weekly live radio show.

For the last 3 and-a-bit years I've been at Halfords. Worked my way to bike mechanic - although not had a full head of department so was pretty much doing some of that too for the last 6 months. Wanted the break from IT but not sure if I want to stay where I am, go back to IT, or try something different.
To: ALL36 of 183
hello everyone! i'm a product manager in integrity at facebook, looking after systems like this to keep fake/abusive accounts at bay. which is good.

things are a bit more complicated than the community hacks back in the day, like when we posted fake 
'reply' links all over the delphi network, tricking people into replying random messages into npcff :'-)
To: andy 37 of 183
Yay!

Do you feel like Facebook is like, morally salvageable and all that? I use it a little bit and own an Oculus thing and sometimes wonder if it's all evil, but it gets quite wearying trying to keep on top of that for everything.

God but those days were fun. I don't have nearly the time to be in shenanigans like that anymore. Still, just built a Lego Technic Dodge Charger with my six-year-old, so there's that.
To: milko 38 of 183
I was verrrrry cynical when I joined (I was an outright critic), but thought worst case it'd look great on my CV for whatever is next, and I'd have some good stories.

But 5 months in I can't see how any of the conspiracy theories are true about Facebook's bad intentions - in fact working in Integrity I see how much effort (10,000s of employees/contractors) and money (billions) is being spent trying to squash any badness.

I haven't quite switched to the "facebook is a force for good" end of the spectrum, but I at least am conscious that the ratio of good:bad news coverage we get doesn't seem to be proportionate to the actual ratio of good:bad things that are enabled because of facebook/instagram/whatsapp. particularly mindful of this at present, as tools like ours are making isolation a little less... isolated!
To: andy 39 of 183
Woah, blast from the past! Nice to hear all's good!
To: andy 40 of 183
> But 5 months in I can't see...

So you're currently around OT level II...?