Lockdown fiddling

To: ALL54 of 76
For those wondering how to configure their xstartup file in fedora to launch an xfce session in vncserver, here it is:

#!/bin/sh
#
# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
# unset SESSION_MANAGER
unset DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
# exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
#
[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &
x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
xfce4-session &

Yesterday I did this after much googling (I already knew how to do it in Ubuntu/Debian) and false starts including xrdp, which I could only get to launch gnome desktop, a resource hog on my severely constrained old pc. The capper was remembering to append :1 to the ip in the vnc client. After all this fiddling my keyboard stopped responding, though the mouse continued to work. After a reboot got the keyboard back.
EDITED: 6 May 2020 13:52 by DSMITHHFX
To: ALL55 of 76
Upgrading Fedora 31 to 32 on an Athlon x2 4850e with 2G is like watching paint dry.

After ~2-hours, it is 21% complete. Thank fuck this isn't my main work pc any more.

:-O
To: ALL56 of 76
Upgrade completed successfully ~5-hours later...  8-O

ISTR the clean install of Fedora 31 server edition + xfce desktop + ass't apps and tweaks last month took about half as long.

Oh well, I suppose I don't have to go through it all again for a whole year.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 57 of 76
How's it going?

More and more toying with the idea and a Pi may be what I eventually use. Will be a post-lockdown thing. And I want to wait for drive prices to lower quite a bit.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 58 of 76
Mentioned it earlier in thread, I did a do-release-upgrade a bit back on my ubuntu server. Never again. Time consuming and too many issues. Fresh next time.
To: ANT_THOMAS 59 of 76
I did Fedora 27-28 a coupla years ago and don't recall any problems or absurd slowness, but this (my 'new' pc) has an Athlon x4 950 and had 16G (32 now).

I know from some virtualbox installs that recent Fedoras really don't get along well with constrained memory. The FC32 kernel has something called EarlyOOM which might help it (the old pc) cope better.

Anyhoo it's done and seems to be working well. Running it from vnc on Windows 7 atm, no obvious speed/memory issues from the old pc (obviously slower than the new).

Nice to finally see GIMP 2.0 in action.
EDITED: 7 May 2020 16:40 by DSMITHHFX
To: ANT_THOMAS 60 of 76
Almost done.

I went for a simple set up in the end: latest Raspbian with Samba. I've decided to reproduce what I have on my Windows Plex box where the Plex libraries and backup folders are copied overnight to duplicate drives. The backup folders will be moved to the Pi box. If the whole lot blows up I'm stuffed, but it's far more likely that a single drive will fail. I use robocopy on windows and an rsync cron job on Raspbian should be pretty similar.

The actual physical build is always more fiddly and troublesome than anticipated. I could just connect everything up and hide it under a desk, but then I thought I could stick it on a board. Then I found a nice biscuit tin. That's when I discovered that none of the cables were as flexible and forgiving as I'd hoped and the tin need ventilating which means putting grommets onto holes and the only ones I have left are the sealed type. Then how to mount the drives etc. etc. 

But almost done. I'll stick a picture up when I've finished.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 61 of 76
Have you had a look at Glimpse? (GIMP fork)
To: ANT_THOMAS 62 of 76
Never heard of it.

To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 63 of 76
Re-branded GIMP with bugs added, not worth wasting time on.

</TWR>

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 64 of 76
That was my take.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 65 of 76
Think there's any future in it? Seemed like a good attempt to make it more user friendly and get away from the neckbeard weirdos who insist on it being called GIMP.
To: ANT_THOMAS 66 of 76
> get away from the neckbeard weirdos who insist on it being called GIMP.

And into the embrace of the blustering snowflakes who want everyone swathed in bubblewrap? ¬_¬

Name calling is unconstructive, and rarely the best way to build collaboration.

As it stands, I doubt the future of a four person project that wants to both extend a complex application and rewrite it from scratch at the same time, and who say they want a better UI, but almost a year in and... well, what they've presented would likely get a U grade at school.

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 67 of 76
Or in the pursuit of more widespread adoption, and then hopefully more contribution as a result, you'd look to change the name wouldn't you?
To: ANT_THOMAS 68 of 76
I like WIMP: Wussy Inconsequential Meaningless Pout

Seriously though, it's like all those reskinned and renamed 'buntu's masquerading as independent DEs (looking at you MINT).
EDITED: 8 May 2020 12:21 by DSMITHHFX
To: ANT_THOMAS 69 of 76
The barriers to GIMP adoption are far deeper than the name, as proven by the popularity of Seashore and GimPhoto.

Were I involved with the project, I'd consider a rebrand at the next major release for the sole reason of it being a shit name, and only if the new name was good enough to justify the change and was ready to be accompanied by significant already realised improvements.

I would not fork the code, give it an even shitter name, and waste time replacing all references to a project that isn't going away.

EDITED: 8 May 2020 19:22 by BOUGHTONP
To: ANT_THOMAS 70 of 76
There. Not the neatest bit of work I've ever done. The step drill tore the tin so I had to use a Dremel to cut a flap out for the cables (haven't fitted a trim on the edges yet). Not sure how I'm going to cut ventilation holes in the lid either.
Attachments:
To: william (WILLIAMA) 71 of 76
Neat!

I'm curious about those hard drive caddies?
To: ANT_THOMAS 72 of 76
I found these a while back. They're brilliant -  and dirt cheap on eBay. I bought a load for 99p each. The drive just snaps into the plastic adaptor and then they're 3.5" bay sized. I used them here because they provide a bit of space for air flow and can be stuck together with sticky foam fixers. Here's a link on eBay, but I think you can get them on Amazon (for a bit more £) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143478268428
EDITED: 12 May 2020 22:47 by WILLIAMA
To: william (WILLIAMA) 73 of 76
Ahh, I thought they were 3.5" for some reason. Very useful though.

I think I 3D printed a 2 x 2.5" to 3.5" caddy a while ago when I couldn't be bothered waiting for shipping and wanted to fit some SSDs RIGHT NOW.