Lockdown fiddling

To: ANT_THOMAS 28 of 76
Hah! That reminds me of upgrading my OwnCloud server with a casual disregard for the upgrade notes, chief of which was the advice that it was essential to upgrade PHP first. That was a balls up and the fun began when I was picking through the wreckage and discovered that to upgrade PHP I needed to upgrade my Raspbian and that anyway, there wasn't a compatible version of PHP in the OwnCloud repository. Oh how I laughed at the prospect of rebuilding all those fiddly bits that I'd forgotten how to do. Delighted to find that the Raspbian upgrade was smooth as silk and I managed to find a version of PHP that went on with a bit of wiggling. Even more delighted that the Owncloud upgrade simply "resumed" where it left off as though nothing had gone wrong.

Didn't get hacked although it's amazing how many port scans turn up in the logs.
To: koswix 29 of 76
My son runs Plex from a Pi 4 now. Works fine, even transcoding on the fly so he can watch stuff on his phone over t'internet. You probably know that the Pi 4 runs very hot, so it's definitely worth getting a decent active cooler . He's got one of these and the Pi seldom goes over 50C even flat out.

This bloke is doing the Pi 4 for £10 less than most places right now and if you're interested in auctions, there's a couple on ebay right now.
EDITED: 14 Apr 2020 13:50 by WILLIAMA
To: william (WILLIAMA) 30 of 76
Quote: 
all my ISA cards, IDE cables, motherboard stand-offs and ancient memory modules in the attic

I've got boxes of the stuff piled on warehouse shelving surrounding me and threatening to collapse in a deadly avalanche.

Still, yesterday while hunting around for an old motherboard driver cd, nearly throwing my back out in the process, I stumbled upon a Yorkshire Penny  :-D

To: william (WILLIAMA) 31 of 76
Think I had a very similar issue with PHP. Had all sorts of hassle trying to downgrade, or upgrade, or not use a certain version. Eventually worked somehow with a lot of checking logs which told me not a lot. And since I went to 16.04 (and not 18.04) I'm still a few years out of date and certain packages aren't available.

Probably would have been better to rebuild from scratch in hindsight. Which will be what I probably do when 16.04 goes end of life. No chance a past 14.04 install, which was a mess moving to 16.04 will survive the bump to 18.04.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 32 of 76
What's one of them?
To: william (WILLIAMA) 33 of 76
Attachments:
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 34 of 76
How odd. I wonder what they're associated with. The Yorkshire bank?
To: william (WILLIAMA) 35 of 76
They're associated with one Steve Manthorp (& Co.).

https://twitter.com/manthorp/status/848447314083676161
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 36 of 76
Messrs Manthorp & Gulzar - how curious
To: ALL37 of 76
Update on my lockdown diversion: this morning it would not boot, freezing mid-post, unresponsive to 3-finger salute. Thought I might have done something terrible by impatiently hot-plugging a ps/2 mouse yesterday. (the k9mm-v is usb-finicky).

I decided to try clearing the cmos. Shifting the sound card and some sata cables out of the way, I had just enough room to grasp the jumper (MrsD.'s cosmetic tweezers not up to the job). After it came back to life, I ran updates on Fedora 31, installed xfce desktop to it and turned my ministrations to xp, which was mysteriously ignored by the FC31 grub two -- it's now a subitem in the Windows 7 boot menu, listed as "fucking old windows" or words to that effect. The OS that dares not speak its name.

Where Win7 was running quite snappily yesterday immediately after the install, I found it sluggish, and messed around with the memory cache settings, which seems to have helped. No doubt Win7 wants a lot more ram than xp, but the mb is maxed out at 2G  :-( .

I did a brief trial run of Dead Island Riptide on it. It ran about as well as under xp on this old rig, which is to say not great, but playable. I need better headphones though.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 38 of 76
Life, and old laptops, are like that sometimes
To: william (WILLIAMA) 39 of 76
Still got a handful of them left, too.
To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 40 of 76
Oh well that's better then. Always thought it was odd that the Pi3 added gigabit ethernet onto an already crowded bus.

Kind of stupidly amazing how much processing they've crammed into these ARM SoCs. I mean I'm considering replacing a quad core Xeon tower with something a bit bigger than a credit card >.<
To: william (WILLIAMA) 41 of 76
I'll have a look at that. Still kinda want to resurrect the proper server, but if it's totally dead I'll remove the motherboard etc. and put a Pi4 in an IBM tower case  :'-D 
To: Manthorp 42 of 76
It all comes back to me now 41886.1
To: koswix 43 of 76
A proper MAN'S solution. None of this snowflake, nouvelle cuisine, coronavirus-catching, miniature nonsense.
To: ALL44 of 76
I've about chalked up the Win7 experiment as a fail, due to 1) jim# likely won't pass activattion in 30-days -- though there's a hack to extend that a couple of times, and 2) the hardware's too sucky for it anyway, certainly for Steam games. Which is, after all, why I built a new one.

So I went back into xp and installed my store-bought dvd of Ghost Recon AW2 and fired that up. It plays pretty well at 1920x1080/medium settings, but could be improved with further tweaks. Game play, graphics etc. hold up pretty well for a 2007 release, plus there's a vast library of mods, including some awesome user-made missions, guns and whatnot. I've got most of it squirrelled away on disk(s), somewhere.

I think this is my best bet for gaming on the old PC.
To: koswix 45 of 76
Yeah it's nuts. If I didn't game I could probably get by with one of these things as my main PC these days.
To: ALL46 of 76
I gave up on fiddling around; took my spare HP Microserver N54L (I have two - don't ask), bunged in two 12TB drives (shucked from WD Elements), a 2TB WD Black that I hadn't been using for ages, added unRAID and Bob's your awkward relative. Does everything fine, on the lookout for the 12TB WD Elements to drop in price again.
To: Serg (NUKKLEAR) 47 of 76
Is unRAID the one that costs? (but is probably worth it?)
How much were the 12TB drives when you got them?