Westworld S03

To: ALL1 of 8
I really enjoyed Season 1. Season 2 was full of many characters doing many things many of which I didn't entirely understand. It still had production values and nice writing coming out of its arse so remained a pleasure to watch if a bit confusing.

Season 3 so far (4 eps in) is *fucking great*.

Mild spoilers (theme, setting):

I'm glad they've left the park. A few episodes into Season 2 I wanted the park to be done with and get these robots out in the real world doing stuff.

Season 3 is them out in the real world doing stuff. And it's a cool cyberpunky affair with pleasant dystopia and badass androids doing badass stuff. But also introspecty "what is even reality even though really even?" without being wanky about it. Clever without being an essay. Keeps the clevers in the narrative and structure rather than putting it alongside, like.

I am, as any sane person should be, in love with S03 Dolores.

I give it Tony Benn out of Keir Starmer marks.

EDITED: 7 Apr 2020 03:40 by X3N0PH0N
To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 2 of 8
And it's quite the palate-cleanser after the dumb nonsensical shitfuck that was Picard.
EDITED: 7 Apr 2020 03:46 by X3N0PH0N
To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 3 of 8
Not seen any others, but I thought the 2nd season was amazing.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 4 of 8
The second season had some interesting stuff going on for sure but I found it a bit confusing.

Each season so far has had a different feel. Which I like.

To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 5 of 8
just finished it. i liked it, pretty interesting world-building, beautiful set-pieces, thoughtful philosophy (but not too profound or wanky as you said), some rockin' action scenes. and yeah dolores is just a great character.

also finished the bbc (fx) series 'devs' last night which is not a million miles away in genre/story - was a lot wankier on the philosophy but to be fair pretty smart and similarly beautiful. kinda a companion story to alex garland's film 'ex machina'. i'm a bit of a sucker for sci-fi full-stop, but particularly love these sorts of plausible-in-10-years-tech plus gnarly philosophical/sociological implications.

especially when juxtaposed against crud like picard. jeeeez.
To: andy 6 of 8
Picard (fail)

Not watched the last WW episode yet. Will probably watch it tonight. Looking forward to it.

One thing that impressed me about the show in a meta way was that all the outdoor stuff is real locations that real location scouts found, rather than CGI.

But yeah, great show.

I'll check out devs!
To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 7 of 8
Devs is pretty good! I finished that last night. It's got some good ominous noises, that's my main thing.
To: milko 8 of 8
I really enjoyed DEVS. Nick Offerman has astonishing range. It was a little predictable though.

I got a bit exhausted of WestWorld season 1, I was worried it was headed towards being another Lost - loads of weird shit, loose ends all over the place, nothing being answered etc. Sounds like I should go back and watch it again.