Half Life: Alyx

To: william (WILLIAMA) 15 of 32
It'll be interesting to see if prices fall back down to earth anytime soon.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 16 of 32
Some prices aren't too bad as these things go. In particular some of the Windows Mixed Reality kit is relatively cheap and there's a fair bit of it around on the used market for even less. On the other hand, if you've got the cash you could easily spend £2-3,000 for a high end setup including a new graphics card. 

To: william (WILLIAMA) 17 of 32
I'd go entry level, either a new Rift or a second-hand Vive. I went for the latter, on the assumption that room-scale just wouldn't suit some buyers' lifestyles, and so it proved. I picked up a complete, virtually new Vive rig for £450, and I suspect you could get one for less now. But I live alone and if I want to push all the furniture to the wall, I can.

I've supplemented it since with a new audiostrap (a worthwhile investment) and two additional second-hand controllers for days I'm really bingeing - or for workshops. That's another thing - I've recouped the cost by running a few workshops (as easy as instructing people how to do some basic 3d drawing in Tiltbrush) and a brief residency with Opera North, supporting a performer who wanted live improvised drawing in the background as he sang.

Rifts are neater but with lower resolution, and can be operated sitting down for many games.

For anyone who's a big fan of Half life, Alyx alone is worth the cost of a VR rig.
To: graphitone 18 of 32
As Chrisss says, it's chronologically HL 1.5. I'm guessing now they've built the engine and all the assets for VR, HL3 could be implemented as another VR game, or even a DLC, with comparative ease. I think they'll want to do it too, for the sake of completion of the series. There's also talk that HL2 Chapters is going to be re-released for VR.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 19 of 32
I'm going back in at that level to see if I can kill all the headcrab zombies by luring them into the room with the barnacles, one by one.
To: Manthorp 20 of 32
I'm now 9 hours into Alyx, by far my longest play sessions. I haven't used my headset a great deal recently and I have been experiencing the real life vs VR strangeness again. I was going to bed the other night and I could see the blue grid from the play space boundaries when I shut my eyes. And last night I got into bed and thought I was wearing the gravity gloves and went to take them off.

The game is stunning. The sound and visuals of the environments are amazing, and there are some proper scary moments.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 21 of 32
My most sensorily confused moment came in (ironically) A Chair in a Room: Greenwater, when I tried to sit on a virtual chair. Very uncomfortable. Incidentally, I recommend Greenwater too, if you don't have it already; not perfect and a bit long in the tooth, but well-told, intriguing and scary as hell.

I went back to the start of Is or Will Be and retreated to the Barnacle room over and over again to kill all the headcrabs, saving my bullets just for the headcrab zombies. Just as well when I came across the Combine soldiers later in the level.
To: Manthorp 22 of 32
Can you do screengrabs?
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 23 of 32
I took a few by accident, but they're not very edifying. When I go back in later this afternoon, I'll take some sexier ones.
To: Manthorp 24 of 32
Haha, that sounds dangerous. Did you fall flat on your arse? :D VR can have some bizarre effects. I've nearly fallen over bending down and trying to stabilise myself on a nearby wall. There's a bar in Alyx and I really wanted to take a seat and pour myself a drink.

I do have A Chair in a Room but I haven't got very far. I found it a little frustrating, partly the Index controllers trying to emulate the Vive controllers. When Alyx is done I will try it again.

Have you got to chapter 7 yet? :O Oh my god that is some tense crazy shit going on! I had to take a break at one point and lots of swearing!

I haven't found the game particularly difficult. The enemies are pretty predictable (combine are mostly shoot, pause, shoot), head crabs are less jumpy and slower that they used to be, and J*** **********.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 25 of 32
Screenshots really don't do it justice.

Hmm, I tried uploading two more but that don't seem to have worked on my phone.
EDITED: 29 Mar 2020 17:13 by CHRISSS
Attachments:
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 26 of 32
Found toilet paper! Out of stock in the shops, but at least I can get it in VR :D
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 27 of 32
Lovely.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 28 of 32
I think screenshots in VR are a little like taking a picture of the Grand Canyon - it just loses the scale that you experience when you are there.

Here's some more anyway.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 29 of 32
Some of the game seems a bit - janatorial?
To: william (WILLIAMA) 30 of 32
That's dystopias for you.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 31 of 32
Yes, I found exactly the same. And the best screenies would be when you're arse deep in combat, when taking a screenie is the last thing on your mind.
To: Manthorp 32 of 32
Gotta say I prefer the fictional ones.