The Passion of Ayn Rand (TV movie, 1999) TWR

To: ALL1 of 6
The original neo-nazi liked 'em young. A tedious romance.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 2 of 6
I assume it was curiosity that prompted you to watch this, as I find it hard to think of another reason. Ooh, drunkenness and misreading the title maybe?

I always find it irritating that she is described as a philosopher, but I suppose the not-so-bright libertarians must have somebody they can regard as an intellectual. I actually had a go at reading some of her turgid prose a few years ago. Ghastly rubbish packed with ridiculous caricatures of any one opposed to her might-is-right wank-fest of an ideology. Actually, calling it an ideology is a bit steep: more a kind of deliberate self-abandonment to greed, justified by the 'evidence' from her novels. 
To: william (WILLIAMA) 3 of 6
On reflection, I suppose she deserves some credit for achieving success as an author writing in her second language. But then again, others did it (and do it) so much better.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 4 of 6
I blame MrsD. who picked it up as an installment in a Peter Fonda film festival. Well, not really, I willingly watched.

It was in some respects a fascinating glimpse into the formation of a cult, in a land overripe for such a thing to form. Although unduly reverential of her (alleged) intellect, the film gave equal time to her manipulative, vindictive bitch and deranged fanatic sides as well. There was even a scene of her giving a speech in which she delivers an apologia of the Third Reich ('they had some good ideas...'). I have to say though it wasn't one of Mirren's more inspired performances. Peter Fonda was, well, Peter Fonda. The romance part was very much of the 3rd-rate soap opera variety.
EDITED: 3 Sep 2019 15:36 by DSMITHHFX
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 5 of 6
I had a look for a trailer. There's a TV thing which just covers one scene of HM delivering an OTT rant and another snippet that's a rather nice recording of Mac the Knife by Ella Fitzgerald over some scenes from the film. 

I imagine it was difficult to portray Ayn Rand with any sympathy. Nothing in her writing is particularly interesting and although she appears to have had an interesting life, it was a life lived by a dull person. I took a look at her Wikipedia entry. If that is correct then she is something of a top favourite amongst the right-wing in US Government and various associated institutes and think-tanks. It reminds me of the success of the philosopher Karl Popper amongst scientists. He flatters them. The fact that what he writes about is patently wrong doesn't matter. He paints such a flattering picture of the honest, logical world of science that he is guaranteed success.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 6 of 6
"a top favourite amongst the right-wing in US Government and various associated institutes and think-tanks"

Anarcho-capitalism attracts billionaire $$$ like flies.