"Cheap" OnePlus 7 (8GB TBH)

To: milko 21 of 25
Just works is now what I want. I used to be installing custom ROMs and all that, can't think of anything worse now. I suppose that's why the OnePlus phones have worked well for me. They just work. Reasonable price (less than Pixels, but increasing each year), fairly stock Android experience, good quality. Only real reason I upgraded from my OP3 last year was due to storage space, went from 64GB to 256GB. Had my OP6 for over a year now, should hopefully keep hold of it for at least another year. Improvements are minimal and I recently spent a fair amount on a new camera so the latest and greatest phone camera isn't going to push me to spend.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 22 of 25
So, after all that, I bought Mrs WmA one of these for Christmas.

Late November she went for a walk in the rain with her OnePlus 2 in the pocket of her raincoat. The pocket being waterproof, and the rain being very rainy, when she returned the phone was soaked and this time, it couldn't be brought back. This is about the third time she's done this. By amazing luck, she found our daughter's old OnePlus 1 lying around, so she wasn't completely phoneless. I should add that our daughter dropped this a few years ago and I replaced the screen. It didn't take Mrs WmA long to drop it again and break the replacement. Well, it still worked, but a Christmas upgrade was in order.

When I bought the phone I paid £307, so it was even better value than before. It is 100% identical to the UK model with two exceptions. 1) It has a Chinese language sticker in addition to the English sticker on the back (both easy to peel off) 2) It was supplied with a Chinese 2 pin charger. However, Techinthebasket included a rather nice UK adapter, so that isn't a problem. The Android version is exactly the same as shipped in the UK. It's a very big improvement on the 1 and 2 models.

To: william (WILLIAMA) 23 of 25
"I replaced the screen"

Is it user-replaceable by design, or did you resort to previously undisclosed, mad phone-repair skillz?

MrsD.'s cheapo phone has had a broken screen for years, with major, multiple cracks spanning it from a single trip to the floor. I tried to persuade her to just buy a new phone (my current phone cost me 50 bucks, which is probably cheaper than getting hers repaired by a shop).
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 24 of 25
Not exactly by design, but it was available as an OEM part and enough people had dropped phones for there to be YouTube vids. I don't know about mad skillz. It's comparable to working on a laptop which I've done a bit replacing batteries, fans, drives etc.
EDITED: 10 Jan 2020 21:26 by WILLIAMA
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 25 of 25
If you're thinking about doing it, then a search in your search-engine of choice should reveal whether the part is available and whether there are instructional vids. If you can find both then it probably isn't that hard to do. The hardest part with the OnePlus 1 was being organised and brave, because it meant dismantling almost every part of the phone.