Years & Years TWR

To: ALL1 of 11
Seen 4 Eps. Futuristic appurtenances seem unnecessary. It's about now.
To: Manthorp 2 of 11
Congratulations - I gave up fifteen minutes into the second episode.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 3 of 11
Was it a specific incident that deterred you, or was it generalised meh?  I'm enjoying it, if enjoy is the right word.
To: Manthorp 4 of 11
I think it was the general format / presentation, with the whole PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! crap that turned me off, combined with there just being better things to watch.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 5 of 11
I think it partially fails as a drama because it's too preoccupied with being polemical. But for all that, I do think Davies does tension remarkably well. All those years of Whovian cliff-hangers, maybe.

You'll have to point me to the good shit, though. I only started watching Y&Y because there didn't seem to be much other drama around worth watching. My ideal (not served by Y&Y) is psychological thrillery stuff.
To: Manthorp 6 of 11
Hey, I said better, not good, and it's perhaps because I generally watch things to relax.

For example, Top Gear is utter shite and currently has the worst presenters ever, but I find myself watching it - I guess the locations and guests can be vaguely interesting, but it's mostly just simple.

Although I do have one thought on the psychological thriller front: have you seen Mr Robot?

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 7 of 11
My relaxation go-to is The Repair Shop. I love the (lack of) pace of it, and the only jeopardy being whether the owners of the restored thing will well up or not.

I've seen ads for Mr. Robot, and it looked interesting. I'll give an episode or two a go. Straight in at Ep01?
To: Manthorp 8 of 11
If you want an alternative for a nice relaxing watch, I'd recommend any of the Michael Palin travelogues. 

I've been working my way through them again and the Himalaya one is a particular highlight. 
To: graphitone 9 of 11
I did his Himalayas, but none of the others. Thanks for the suggestion - I'll give them a go.
To: Manthorp 10 of 11
Yeah, definitely need to start at the beginning of season 1 to avoid various spoilers.

It's interesting because (unlike most movies) they had actual security consultants and use real-world tools and techniques, but without it being tedious (thought a couple of times I did feel it a bit name-checking/buzzword bingo).

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 11 of 11
Quote: 
a bit name-checking/buzzword bingo

Heh, yes, definitely. But it is fun though.