Music thingummy

To: william (WILLIAMA) 42 of 168
Well, I'm hoarding for the apocalypse, then I will either sell/barter this stuff for boots, beans and bullets, or I will build a mofo attack vehicle. Or maybe not... just in case, you know.
To: graphitone 43 of 168
You should see the awesome quantities of shite I've accumulated in my home & in my studio, on the off-chance that it might one day 'come in'.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 44 of 168
The apocalypse or Brexit, whichever comes sooner.
To: Manthorp 45 of 168
A pleonasm shirely? Aren't they one and same?
To: graphitone 46 of 168
I hold out the hope that Brexit might be a bit more whimpery than the other thing.
To: Manthorp 47 of 168
Aye, but will be dependent on who's in charge come the actual day.  :-Y
To: ALL48 of 168
Anyway, here's a ridiculous thing about my backup PC because I knew you're all hanging on my every word, I got a replacement motherboard (different make) and stuffed it and all the working bits in a new case and plugged it in and - FUCK ME! A few minutes of hesitation, wiggle the video cable and reboot - and it all works perfectly. No OS reinstall, no non-functioning devices, no exclamation marks in device manager*, not even anything odd in event viewer. It's as though the Update Pixie, or Sooty, has sprinkled my new build with oofle-dust and Izzy-Wizzy Lets Get Busy it all just works. Backups are back-upping, Plex is Plexxing. 

*well, one, because of shitty Intel AMT which I hope a BIOS update will lose

To: Izziwizzi 49 of 168
I think Willy wants to get busy with you.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 50 of 168
Have you finished the music thing?
I've lost track.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 51 of 168
Well, I wanted to be able to leave it alone again for a few years.

...Oh, and it invalidated the Windows license key and 'deactivated' it. But using an old Windows 7 key worked fine.
To: ANT_THOMAS 52 of 168
Got all the bits now but haven't got round to building it yet.
To: ANT_THOMAS 53 of 168
But the tiny little motherboard and case are very cute.

Here they are next to a medium tower case and my size 9 for scale.

Attachments:
To: william (WILLIAMA) 54 of 168
Teeny.
What was the reason for STX over a NUC or similar barebones "nettop" type device.
Though I know nettops aren't exactly widespread these days.
To: ANT_THOMAS 55 of 168
There are quite a few mini-PCs around from companies like Beelink and AcePC. They vary in spec from very low-powered Atoms and Celerons up to i7 with 16GB tbh. Most come with Windows 10 or a flavour of Android. That's fine, but I also wanted to have at least 2TB of disk space accessible over ethernet (Gigabit) with a further 2TB to back up the main disk. Almost none of the barebones or built boxes allow for additional drives. I could probably do it using external drives plugged into a mini-PC but there's a huge difference between transferring files over a Gigabit link and over a Gigabit link plus a USB port. Anyway, it was all starting to look a bit cumbersome for something I want to sit in view.

The little Silverstone case has room for a couple of 2.5" drives with proper mounting points. The STX board has 2 SATA headers and comes with matching connectors, plus it has an M.2 slot for a third (PCIe) drive to boot from. So I can put everything into one box and hang a little Cyrus DAC from a USB port at the back. I can control the lot with an eSYNiC mini keyboard and use the telly as a monitor.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 56 of 168
Gotcha. Thought it would be storage that was the hold up if you didn't want the storage elsewhere on the network.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 57 of 168
Quote: 
there's a huge difference between transferring files over a Gigabit link and over a Gigabit link plus a USB port

It's pretty negligible with USB 3 IME.

To: ANT_THOMAS 58 of 168
Talking of gotcha, just made a start at putting the little PC together. The 2.5" drives sit next to each other on the bottom of the case with pre-drilled screw holes and little 'dimples' for positioning. The mobo has risers at each corner that hold it clear above them. There are little riser pin-sets on the mobo with custom clip-on cables taking power and data. They're just 2 cm too short to actually reach the furthest drive  :'-( 

I'll probably have to bodge something now, maybe with some sticky fixer things to sit the drives at 90 degrees to how they should go.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 59 of 168
Really? I find that I get a pretty steady  65 to 90 MB/s disk to disk, depending on what else is using the network, whereas to a USB drive it may start around the same but after a few seconds when the cache has gone it drops to a pretty poor 5 to 10 MB/s usually less. And that's with USB 3.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 60 of 168
Desktop or laptop drives?
To: william (WILLIAMA) 61 of 168
Gotta agree with Smithy. I've got some large USB 3 drives on my server and they get a consistent 80-90 MB/s over my gigabit network. Obviously slower for smaller files. But the bottleneck is usually the read end (card reader, other drive etc) rather than the USB 3 drive. Can't really tell the difference from them being internal drives. I was pleasantly surprised when I first got a proper USB 3 drive, wasn't expecting that speed.

An old drive? Bad enclosure?