FC5 Can.$26.40 'til the 28th @ Ubi

To: ALL91 of 159
Got deeper under the skin of ND last night & played till 2am, which tells its own story.

The character development is quite different, with the options available at different areas of the base, Prosperity; and the main experience points mechanism is looting ethanol and bringing it back for the base.

There's quite a push to persuade players to buy Ubisoft credits to exchange in-game (and a melding of bought & earned credits, in order to blur the line still further, though they're fooling nobody). But the character progression is fine without any in-game purchasing. I'm only on level two of anything - with lots of progression to go - but generally I'm well matched to the enemy AI and the vicissitudes & dangers of the world.

As soon as you have liberated an enemy base, you have the option of taking it again from rock hard NPCs, with massive amounts of ethanol as your reward.  First time I did it, it took me four or five attempts to win it back. I can do it again, but I don't know whether the difficulty is ramped up yet another notch if I do. There are plenty of side missions and no great pressure to plough through the main quest.

There is some absolutely rock hard fauna. Even the mutant warthogs are tough, and the elks have the skin of an FC4 rhino.

EDITED: 16 Apr 2019 15:21 by MANTHORP
To: Manthorp 92 of 159
This is beginning to sound interesting. How do you transport the ethanol, and isn't it super flammable?
To: ALL93 of 159
Base capped Kellet Cattle Co. outpost last night, it was surprisingly dead easy, seeings how I went in without a plan: I sniped a couple of dudes (including a heavy) with the .50 undetected, then sidled around t'other side. Meanwhile the bodies were found and the defenders hived off in that direction. I walked into the house and freed a couple of captives, who picked up guns and did all the heavy lifting when the defenders drifted back home. Won a 'bladed combine harvester' for my trouble, whatever the fuck that is.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 94 of 159
Oh, it's fun. Shirley you've encountered (or hijacked) one before. Goes through cattle like jelly babies.
To: Manthorp 95 of 159
Haven't had much truck (so to speak) with driving FC5 vehicles, so far just walking around is all the excitement I can handle. Know what's weird though is pickups (especially white ones), vans and fuel trucks catch my eye in the real world now.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 96 of 159
You should try Zelda Breath of the Wild and then walk through, um, just about anywhere with trees and grass. 
To: ALL97 of 159
Hit a FC5 sweet spot: Faith's dead, no peggy action in henbane river. Jacob has me slated for more shooting gallery BS, and John wants to meet me at Fall River chapel for his shitass pathetic finale.

Oh gosh, no thank you John, fuck you very much.

So I'm tooling around the valley with unlimited cultist targets all lit up, and plenty o' critters to harvest for bullet money.

Suweeeet!
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 98 of 159
I finished ND yesterday. Two final battles, one great fun with a good ethical dilemma at the end, but the second is one of those tedious grinds in a small arena with an overpowered boss. I failed several times, quit and went back into the game world to take advantage of one of its innovations - unlimited upgrades of some skills and weaponry. I increased my health pack and ammunition capacity to fuckninja levels and powered up an elite SMG and LMG to 11, then returned and defeated the last boss without much effort. Another ethical dilemma at the end of the second boss fight and an OK final cutscene.

The game world is now mine, with all quests & subquests complete unless I've missed something, but there's plenty to do: scavenging the camps on the hardest settings with my choice of guns for hire, killing monstrous fauna and building up my stats even further.

I've found a splendid bug. I often find myself a vantage point and use bait to lure animals to their doom to build up my resources (there's an exchange of different skins for specific materials in ND). I've discovered a location next to a cliff where, when I throw bait, animals throw themselves off the edge of the cliff and fall, either to their deaths, or to lie unconscious for a few moments, then spring several feet into the air.
To: Manthorp 99 of 159
Speaking of bugs, hit an odd one couple of days ago in FC5: a weird ground-to-sky giant 'box' that looked like it was made of sepia-colored, vertical venetian blind slats. I could see through the interstices, enemies could drive through it, I could walk into and out of it, but inside everything was all jumbled up. I quick-travelled elsewhere, haven't seen it again.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 100 of 159
I love bugs and glitches and that sounds like a goodie. I once found a npc in FC 4 walking on the surface of a river.  The most common one I come across in FC is assets stuck in mid-air - I came across an arrow just the other day.  Sometimes stuck things will react if you walk into them, sometimes not.

The first one I ever came across wasn't a glitch per se, but bad map design. In an early level of Tombraider 2 it's possible to run, jump and walk to a place in the map where you can look (or jump) into the void of blackness beyond.  At the time I found it very affecting - a metaphor for existential oblivion.
To: ALL101 of 159
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 102 of 159
Hope County representative...
To: Manthorp 103 of 159
Not feeling the hope...

To: ALL104 of 159
Speaking of hopeless... gonna try out "devmode" tonight (supposedly enabled by appending "-devmode" to a shortcut link property).

https://godmodeuser.com/p/2

Then if that runs as advertised, it might get me a god mode (toggled by backspace), so I can dispatch boring boss fights in a jiff. Fingers crossed.
To: ALL105 of 159
That did SFA.  (fail)

Not seeing a clear path to beating that mofo Jacob.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 106 of 159
As I remember, get shot of the acolytes ASAP with the grenade launcher, duck & weave, duck & weave, & then heavy machine gun fire.Keep taking the health packs.
To: Manthorp 107 of 159
Oh, the kill jacob finale. Nah, I just want to make it through the 3rd repetition of the 'cull the herd' shooting gallery and get some more play time in the spectacular white mountains. Hopefully I can skip the finale altogether. I've been off my game so to speak, I realized when I sent my GFH home and got killed about thirty times. Guess I just got to hunker down, remember where the ducks are sitting and beat the clock.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 108 of 159
There's a nasty trick played on you at the end of that the scene and it suckered me in.  I'd be fascinated to see what the consequences are if you don't fall for it. You'll know what I mean when you get there.
To: Manthorp 109 of 159
Yeah I've played it through before. It's a nasty surprise and I suspect you have to go through with it or go back to the beginning. I tried again a few times but couldn't make it through the SMG level (which I believe is the last one before the LMG at the end). Anyway, fuck Jacob and fuck the horse he rode in on, I just tried out the arcade. First "featured" map I tried crashed FC5, then I browsed the solo & coop maps and tried a "Jacob's Realm" (or some such) outpost map. There were a lot of enemies, and the building were from FC4. I used the "sniper" loadout but was able to customize it more to my liking from a weapons shed soon after the mission started. The terrain was a bit OTT, and some aspects were a bit rough around the edges, but it was pretty fun. I was able to take it without getting shot or triggering an alarm, so pretty easy, mainly because the enemies were highlighted (must try it with that turned off). The best part was killing Jacob who appeared in all his glory in a tunnel. Hard to kill, took a lot of rounds and a pipe bomb, but I finished him with several head shots from the desert .50, he wasn't really dangerous.
EDITED: 4 May 2019 19:58 by DSMITHHFX
To: ALL110 of 159
Well, now I feel stupid. All I had to do to beat Jacob's trial was to go into options and dial down difficulty to "easy" (I thought it said you couldn't change difficulty in game +). Got it in one, and now I've got the run of the White Mountains again.  :-$