FC5 Can.$26.40 'til the 28th @ Ubi

To: Manthorp 121 of 159
I've only played the 'resist' ending where you wind up in a bunker as Joseph's prisoner then the credits roll. Does the apocalypse also happen in the 'walk away' ending?

I'm a bit baffled by the apocalypse: as near as I can make out the cult crazies predicted, rather than triggered or instigated it, based on some snatches of ominous radio news broadcasts about shit going down in the world outside their control.

Anyway the mansion is intact (as is everything else) in Game+ replay. The only clue of 'post-apocalypse' is the splash screen, otherwise it's identical to the original game, apart from you starting with all the dough, weapons and points you had earned there.

Also it says you can't change difficulty after starting Game+, but I later found out that ain't true (thank fuck).
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 122 of 159
Quote: 
Does the apocalypse also happen in the 'walk away' ending?
I don't believe so. You drive away, 'Only You' plays on the radio and the Sheriff notes that you're looking at him strangely. Fade to suggestive black. The mission isn't complete either.  It just resets to the start of the final mission.

You know there's another ending, right at the start - you can walk away from your first encounter with Seed then, and trigger another ending.

I agree about the apocalypse. Unless there's a great unspoken slice of conspiracy, Seed's a seer, not a protagonist.

I'll go visit the mansion tomorrow evening.
To: Manthorp 123 of 159
The get inside the mansion trick didn't work for me.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 124 of 159
Door not open?
To: Manthorp 125 of 159
I swam underwater up to the mansion (as close as you can get in the pond) but never heard the "only you" overture, so I didn't wait around to drown. Jacob's dog food is delicious, but it's not to die in vain for.

Ah. Maybe I did it wrong. Another video sez you have to pass out once then try it. Next time.
EDITED: 11 May 2019 14:43 by DSMITHHFX
To: ALL126 of 159
The double-barreled shotgun is a revelation. With the incendiary shells, you can shoot down helicopters.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 127 of 159
My supercharged ND HMG firing armour-piercing rounds downs helicopters in a few bursts.
To: Manthorp 128 of 159
I can reliably bring down choppers with the AKM + armor-piercing rounds, and (less reliably) the mp5k with same. I did down one once with a single sniper round from a considerable distance (the 'Nam svd is awesome). I was a bit disappointed to learn last night the FC5 "double-barreled shotgun" is a re-badged .700 nitro from FC4. But that doesn't shoot incendiary shells (I think).
To: ALL129 of 159
So I tried out another Arcade map, Joseph's Campground (are we sensing a theme here?). It was pretty good, house to house fighting against relatively determined and skillful enemies with limited ammo and a few caches scattered here and there, not the best load out, but not too tough to beat. I scouted out some more possibles here: https://www.pcgamer.com/best-far-cry-5-arcade-maps/

Which I have loaded a list of onto my phone email client for in-game access.

The Cabin in the Woods
Author: NikoWZRD

Welcome Home
Author: Silverish

Arena Master
Author: chacko123

Welcome to Elk Jaw Lodge
Author: Sundic_Ouff

Outskirts Outpost
Author: rat_trash.

Safe Haven
Author: Ubisoft

Ah yes, thing to watch out for is arcade maps are playable on only one platform, whether console or pc.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 130 of 159
I've played a few and enjoyed most of them. Even the bad ones teach you about what makes good level design.

I wonder whether Ubidoobi will open the ND Expeditions to fan build? Conceptually, they're made for it - being both standalone maps and (vaguely) integrated into the overarching narrative. I don't know enough about map building to know whether the event-triggered arrival of the rescue copter would be difficult to implement or not.
To: Manthorp 131 of 159
Are ND Expeditions DLC or onboard the game? Does it not have a arcade-editor-thingy?
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 132 of 159
Onboard, and word is there will be no DLC, which I'm disappointed about. There's no embedded editor.
To: Manthorp 133 of 159
I've never done any mapmaking, might be tempted to crack open the FC5 editor for a peek this long weekend.
To: ALL134 of 159
FC:ND is half price on Steam for the next three days Smiffy, if you have £18.99 or its equivalent in foreign going spare.
To: Manthorp 135 of 159
Hmm. Just watched the trailer on steam (the release trailer actually put me off) and saw FC5's Joseph emerge from the bomb shelter. Tempting.
To: ALL136 of 159
You know you want to...
To: ALL137 of 159
I opened the map editor and had a playable map with decent terrain ("savannah"), a half-dozen enemies, an alarm and a building up and running in about 15-minutes. It actually looks way better than the 3 or 4 arcade maps I've played so far, which are inexplicably crude-looking considering how easy it is to get a plausibly 'official' -looking quality FC5 map outta da box (obviously it's way more complicated than that, but still).
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 138 of 159
Brill! Is it available online?
To: Manthorp 139 of 159
Ah no, it's too barebones. I'll mess around some more before deciding whether I get anything worth publishing.
To: ALL140 of 159
I plunged into the mountains west of Clegget Bay and south of the radar station, and was amply rewarded with loads of great new unexplored vistas, critters to kill (my go-fund-ammo is pushing $160K), and bitchin' combat scenarios. Frequently in the middle of massive pile-ups of MG-mounted pickups, choppers, "judges" (mangy wolves on drugs), apex predators, RPG dudes, snipers,  long-hairs in leather trench-coats, and baldies with baseball bats. Good job I brought along two GFH: the bow bitch Jess Black and a sniper gal. Dunno how many choppers I've downed with incendiary shotgun shells, sometimes I forget to switch 'em out and set myself and compadres on fire.
EDITED: 27 May 2019 16:47 by DSMITHHFX