For Honour free on Steam 'til Monday

To: ALL1 of 16
To: ALL2 of 16
Medieval Mortal Kombat apparently.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 3 of 16
Looks kinda interesting. And for free, I'm gonna try it out.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 4 of 16
Did you ever play this?

I downloaded it when it was free and didn't do anything with it until this weekend, I've tried to install and run it, but it doens't show in the Uplay software. :C
To: graphitone 5 of 16
Ah, haven't got it. Must check out.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 6 of 16
Scratch what I said, it's working. I've got to lauch it through Steam, which then launches the Uplay interface and then spawns the game...  :-S
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 7 of 16
Had a quick blast on it last night. The game looks great and plays like an ultra violent game of rock, paper scissors. The combat mechanic (so far from the 20 minutes I've played) is either swiping wildly at minions which take one or two hits to kill, or when you come up against the slightly harder guys you lock onto them and then both you and they attack and defend in one of three poses. If they launch a high attack, you need to push the mouse forward to defend high, similarly if they attacked left/right you then need to defend by pushing the mouse to corresponding side. Conversely, if they're defending up or right, then you'd attack left etc... I hope the range of moves grows and evolves as the game goes on, as doing the same two sword swings throughout the game may get more than a tad tedious.
EDITED: 6 Nov 2018 12:31 by GRAPHITONE
To: graphitone 8 of 16
Quote: 
an ultra violent game of rock, paper scissors.

:-O

I've now got a queue of games I've bought and never installed, so I'm actively resisting taking on new ones.

Just about to plunge into FC4...

EDITED: 6 Nov 2018 13:57 by DSMITHHFX
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 9 of 16
I'm gonna give FC4 a proper go this weekend. Just finished another play through of FC3. The story's way weaker than I remember from the first time round.
To: graphitone 10 of 16
Just started into it. Got a mouse acceleration problem outta da box. Different enough from FC3 that's it's gonna take some concentration to get my head around.
To: ALL11 of 16
Fixed the mouse acceleration, made it through the prologue without being spotted,d sicced a bear on some enemies, got into a firefight and an avalanche and wound up in the friendly village. The Tibetan -ish snowy mountain scenery is a nice refresh from FC3, and game play is nearly identical. Trying to work out the grappling hook physics so I can visit the bell tower and something in it or to it (?).
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 12 of 16
Haven't got that far yet, but looking forward to it.
To: graphitone 13 of 16
The "bell tower" is the counterpart of the FC3 radio towers, except it's made out of 2x4s instead of angle iron. Climb to the top, disable a radio thingy, earn experience points and unlock weapons. This is beginning to feel more like a FC3 expansion pack. Fantastic scenery though. Looking forward to getting better acquainted with the main villain & minions. I've got FC3 with "Ziggy's mod" functioning as a tactical sandbox, checking out some different weapons and loadouts. The Desert Eagle pistol, though it doesn't have a suppressor (in the mod), deals some serious damage and is plausible as a shotgun replacement. I also got the AMR sniper rifle, which is frankly meh. Oh yeah, one more FC4 point: the grappling hook is clever and well-executed. Having said that, it breaks the open world concept because it only works on the game designers' predefined targets and not, for example, on random cliff faces or inside the bell tower, where it would be very useful.  :-(
EDITED: 11 Nov 2018 18:14 by DSMITHHFX
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 14 of 16
Pagan Min is a total star.
To: Manthorp 15 of 16
I have the distinct impression of a mean, vicious little bastard, and you don't get a second chance to make a first impression.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 16 of 16
Oh he is, an utter, utter one. But a star, nonetheless. He delivers a very funny one-off line on the subject of candles.