Windows 7 cant see ubuntu samba share

To: ALL1 of 16
Share is cli-mountable from Fedora 27 (same pc), browseable from XP (different pc). Not from two Windows 7 all on the same lan. Actually the two Win 7s can't even see each other.
Code: 
[global]
   workgroup = WORKGROUP
   server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
   dns proxy = no
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 1000
   syslog = 0
   panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
   server role = standalone server
   passdb backend = tdbsam
   obey pam restrictions = yes
   unix password sync = yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
   pam password change = yes
   map to guest = bad user
   usershare allow guests = yes

[Music]
   comment = shared music
   path = /*****/***
   browsable = yes
   read only = yes
   writable = no
   public = yes
   available = yes
   valid users = ****

EDITED: 29 Apr 2018 14:18 by DSMITHHFX
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 2 of 16
I think the two Win7s not being able to see each other might be where you should start.
To: ANT_THOMAS 3 of 16
Yeah, probably. Having the two Win 7's see each other is not really important and TBH I'd rather they didn't anyway, to avoid spreading of bad shit.

Not sure what this "Homegroup" thing is as it appears to exclude non-Win7 pcs (I disabled it since I can't see shit with it anyway).

Right now I can't seem to get the system & network control panels to agree which fucking network my Win 7 is on (after several reboots).

Edit. OK, I fixed that, still can't see the share though.
EDITED: 29 Apr 2018 16:18 by DSMITHHFX
To: ALL4 of 16
Also, Win 7 can see the Ubuntu pc via vnc. Just not its samba share.
To: ALL5 of 16
Well this is interesting: I finally got a chance to look at Mrs.D's Win 7 today and it sees the share (couldn't yesterday). There's a user/pass issue to sort out, but I may be able to duplicate her nw set up on mine.

Set up guest access so she can now browse and play the musics
EDITED: 29 Apr 2018 17:09 by DSMITHHFX
To: ALL6 of 16
So I tried this from work following the same steps and got the same result... turns out I may have installed samba the wrong way (Synaptic --> Samba). Though this pulled a bunch of related files. it appears something was missing. A tutorial advises using "tasksel install samba-server". I did this, and it pulled through new stuff. Then the work ubuntu share became accessible to Win 10 and Win 7 pcs on our work network.

I also used a different share definition:
Code: 
browsable = yes
create mask = 0777
directory mask = 0777
read only = no
writable = yes
guest ok = yes
guest only = yes
force user = nobody
EDITED: 30 Apr 2018 14:12 by DSMITHHFX
To: ALL7 of 16
Hmph. "taskel install samba-server" apparently installed nothing new on my home ubuntu server, and my Win 7 still can't see it (Mrs.D's still can).

So the problem may be baked in to Win 7 64-bit SP1 (pretty sure Mrs.D's is 32, dunno if she has SP1), or more accurately a patch therein (KB2536276), according to this: http://tinyurl.com/ybf3thz6

Uninstalling this patch (assuming I even have it) *might* fix it.  :-/

EDITED: 1 May 2018 13:32 by DSMITHHFX
To: ALL8 of 16
All good.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 9 of 16
Fantastic.
To: ANT_THOMAS 10 of 16
Yeah, there must have been about 50 different fixes on offer, spread over a couple of forum pages going back to 2009, but the one that seemed to get the most votes was check adaptor for "client for MS networks" (lacking on mine, and apparently many other Win 7 installs). But I also did one more thing while I was at it: enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. Rebooted and everything on the network was visible in my file browser, so I didn't bother with deleting the supposedly offending KB.
EDITED: 2 May 2018 14:20 by DSMITHHFX
To: ALL11 of 16
So now my music library is accessible, I had to find a good BEE-THEMED music player, natch: https://getmusicbee.com
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 12 of 16
I've been using Music Bee for around a year. It's the honey gatherer's patellas.

To: graphitone 13 of 16
It's freaking awesome! It auto-organized my music library from the share, and even found cover art for most of it wiffout me asking. Great equalizer too.

Oh yeah, it also plays flac.
EDITED: 3 May 2018 15:37 by DSMITHHFX
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 14 of 16
Yep, it was the ability to play FLAC files that sold me on it. (bounce)

To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 15 of 16
My only problem with MusicBee is not being able to run it on Linux. :(

(It claims to run via WINE, but had issues last time I tried.)

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 16 of 16
I wish it ran on linux too, cause it kind of beats up the linux-native apps I've tried. Never had much truck with wine.