Labo

To: ALL1 of 11
Nintendo's announcement, looks like they took google card board to the the next level.

Anyone tempted? 60 quid for a bunch of card board sheets and some string seems a bit steep :|

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/01/crazy-kaiju-robot-antics-only-hint-at-nintendo-labos-true-potential/
To: koswix 2 of 11
I haven't had time to look properly yet but I absolutely love what I've seen in a glimpse - just such original thinking yet again from Nintendo when everybody else is mostly just cramming more HD into the same old shootymans games. But yeah, on the face of it, it does sound expensive. And that's quite an expensive console to be trusting to a cardboard enclosure that you're driving/jumping around. 
To: milko 3 of 11
wait, that's including the software in the price innit. Given the RRP of console games that maybe isn't so bad after all.
To: koswix 4 of 11
Do they do origami. Like Bladerunner death markers?
To: milko 5 of 11
It's not clear (to me, at least!) what the software cartridge actually is. Looks like it's just a few mini games for doing the piano and stuff.

The hardware seems to all be in place already (IR camera in the joy con), and for this to be a proper success then they're really going to have to make the interface for this part of the system software, no? I mean, if you can't play Doom with it the robo backpack because you have to have the game card in for Labo, then what's the point?!

I'm intrigued by it, but the price is definitely putting me off right now. If the software is available as part of the system (even for a modest cost download add on) and can be used by other games, then I'm totally in - although I'd probably laser cut something a bit more substantial than card board as you rightly point out, that's a big leap of faith right there.
To: koswix 6 of 11
I dunno, I have some faith that they'll do this right, they usually do. Apparently the Miyamoto game's been in development for a few years already, for example. 
To: milko 7 of 11
The wii was mostly crap once the novelty wore off. The wii u was mostly a flop from launch . Not convinced they usually get it right!

Mind you this would be a cunning way to get rid of all those wii u boxes.
To: koswix 8 of 11
Did I miss something? Why would it get rid of Wii U boxes?

That said, I've probably played my last game on mine (Zelda) and now I have a row of hearts burned into my TV screen, top left.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 9 of 11
... because it didn't sell very well, so they could re-purpose the card board into labo kits?
To: koswix 10 of 11
Oh right! The boxes that contain the Wii U as opposed to the boxes that are the Wii U.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 11 of 11
(nod)