"Brexit" -ish

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 20 of 32
"Ireland is divided between the Republic of Ireland (officially named Ireland), which covers five-sixths of the island, and Northern Ireland"

OK, so we're both right since the Republic of Ireland is called Ireland.

But to say Ireland is part of the UK is wrong. Ireland is not part of the UK, and that was the question.
To: ALL21 of 32
For the sake of argument, Texas and California are in Mexico.
To: Harry (HARRYN) 22 of 32
So, yeah. If that is that complicated it causes all ^ that. The rest of it is probably more so. It's just one of many reasons why this is a very stupid idea.
To: milko 23 of 32
I kind of like how Martin Parr put it: "The vote was really an up yours to the southern elite, delivered by the people who probably will be most damaged by the result". If polling is to be believed, the remain side would win a referendum held now in a landslide.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 24 of 32
I'm not so sure sure about that last sentence. Where are you seeing those landslide indications?

I find people conveniently ignore what they don't want to accept, even after facts are spelt out in detail from every angle, the evidence really rubbed in, they'll still cling to the smallest mote and insist on being right.

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 25 of 32
To: ALL26 of 32
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 27 of 32
He's right about it mainly fucking the mostly-leave voting areas. Of course it will, we have a Tory government who are systematically dismantling those same areas and rubbing their hands at the prospect of removing EU protection for the kinds of social welfare that exposes them more.
Not so sure about another referendum being an easy Remain. There a shitload of very vocal gammon-faced pricks who have only gotten further entrenched in their Leave opinion. And probably still a large quiet group who'll carry on agreeing with them. And about nine tenths of our shithouse press. Bah.
To: milko 28 of 32
The gist of the poll was that leave and remain voters unlikely to change their minds; undecided shifted to remain.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 29 of 32
BMG had the least accurate of all the polls on the day before the General Election, and published EU membership predictions varying from +3/-10/+8 in a short period of time, so a single result from them is not really sufficient evidence.

However, their own write-up on this poll is interesting, and indicates that people not voting in the referendum were split 50:50 a year ago and are now 80:20 remain, (whilst at the same time the graph there also suggests it's not just previously undecided people causing the difference).

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 30 of 32
The will of the people must be respected!
To: ALL31 of 32
Thanks for the "clarity".  I won't pretend to completely understand it all, but the responses certainly make it more clear why the issue is complicated.

I suppose politicians will figure it a grey zone way to pull it off, but it certainly looks like the EU has the UK by the short hairs and will use this border issue to shake down the UK for more money and terms.

To: ALL32 of 32
Thanks for the insights.  It is amazing to me that the presence of a border agent at cross over points would lead to people killing each other, but what do I know.

Growing up in N Ohio, we routinely traveled to the border area of the US and Canada.  Obviously these are very distinct countries, but the relationship was more like "visiting your aunt and uncle's home".  It is polite to knock, but everyone knows that you are always welcome.

Believe it or not, all that was needed was for the driver of the car to show their drivers license and everyone in the car was allowed through - both directions. 

Commercial traffic was even more organized, as auto companies had component factories on both sides of the border, so that traffic was expedited.

I guess this is what is called a soft border?

Unfortunately, crossing this same US / CAN border today is immensely more complex.  Sometimes it seems even harder than flying into Germany.