Blade Runner 2049, and Chappie (2015)

To: ANT_THOMAS 21 of 24
In a world with a lot of shit films, it seems a shame to miss out on that one even if you turned out not to like it.
To: ALL22 of 24
Re-watched the 2049 dvd couple of days ago, on our same old 80s/90s-era (at a guess) motel crt television, and I think I liked it better on the small screen (though re-reading the thread, I seem to have liked it well enough on the big one). Having said all that, though, the more I think about it, is that it is a triumph of style over substance, with nothing more to tell us about the human (or for that matter, replicant) condition. But what style -- I'm guessing the problem here is the source of the original BR was the original Philip K. Dick novel, and this is a (merely) competent screenplay sequel, with a whole lot of plot holes. And yeah, it seems to be set up for franchise land. Blade Runner 2029* Replicants Fight The Bad Man.

*Cause dude, we ain't even gonna make it to 2050.
EDITED: 30 Dec 2019 16:53 by DSMITHHFX
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 23 of 24
I revisited it myself and found the (admittedly faithful to the original) objectification of women' bodies a bit tedious. I don't mind a bit of objectification any more than the next man, if there's an soupcon of context, but it did seem gratuitous, particularly the giant statue(s?) in the desert.
To: Manthorp 24 of 24
Yeah it has a whole lot of baggage.