Best Anti-Virus Software for Malware Protection

To: ALL1 of 10
Have recently bought a new system. For gaming and rendering purpose. Would like to know which anti-virus software is the best to be used with for protection against Malware. 

Regards
To: gracia (GRACEINC) 2 of 10
The best protection against malware is education - knowing what the risks and vulnerabilities are, etc.

Otherwise...
1) Disable all in-browser execution environments (Flash,Java,Silverlight,etc).
2) Block all unknown third-party scripts.
3) Look for anything with full marks in Protection+Performance at av-test and cross-check it with AV Comparatives.

If you use any sites that require Flash, then complain to the site owners - 99.9%+ of Flash uses are obsolete now - and (if you trust the site) make sure you selectively enable it only for that site.

If you need Java for anything, install the Server JRE version and you don't get the shitty browser plugin auto installed across all browsers.

uBlock Origin and uMatrix browser plugins give you control over blocking all/selected third-party JavaScript (and other resources).

EDITED: 29 Apr 2017 13:51 by BOUGHTONP
To: gracia (GRACEINC) 3 of 10
4) don't browse dodgy websites

5) don't open emails from unknown individuals, businesses, government departments etc.

6) don't click links or open attachments in emails forwarded by friends or family, even if they're "amazing", "really funny" etc. You might miss something you'd wished you'd seen. You might also miss a ransomware installation.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 4 of 10
For Flash, I recommend the FlashBlock extension for Firefox/Pale Moon. Blocks Flash by default on all sites, but you can either whitelist a site, or allow a specific control to play if you want. Hence, it's not too annoying if you do need to allow on a specific site.
To: Dave!! 5 of 10
What does that give that the browser built-in click-to-play plus uMatrix doesn't provide?
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 6 of 10
I use Pale Moon which doesn't have "click to play". Must admit, I've not tried uMatrix, might have to give that a try...

And, I've tried it. Looks interesting, but the main thing that FlashBlock does give is simplicity. A simple Flash icon that turns into a "play" icon when you hover over it. Click, and that Flash element loads and plays.
To: Dave!! 7 of 10
> I use Pale Moon which doesn't have "click to play"

It did (in about:config only), but apparently it keeps getting broken in recent versions, so people have resorted to extensions like FlashBlock. Meh.

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 8 of 10
Doesn't really bother me. One tiny extension and the issue is solved. uMatrix is interesting, but it has the downside of breaking most sites without a lot of fiddling to configure it properly. FlashBlock is a lot less powerful, but does work rather more simply overall.
To: Dave!! 9 of 10
It's easy enough to allow common frameworks/CDNs across all sites (and then use Decentraleyes to use local copies instead). Anything which breaks after that deserves further attention.
To: ALL10 of 10
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and safety recommendations. I would surely look into them. More suggestions are also welcome.