The Friday Thread

To: ALL1 of 24
 (highfive)

I can't handle this early shift m'larky, but it does mean I get to leave the office at 3pm and stand some chance of getting home for 6ish. 

What are we up to this weekend?
To: Dan (HERMAND) 2 of 24
A 3hr commute?!
To: Dan (HERMAND) 3 of 24
My youngest turned 4 yesterday is having his birthday party at one of those soft play areas on Saturday. So, tonight is cake baking, tomorrow morning cake decorating (he wants a Mr. Freeze cake - and all the local shops seem to be out of blue icing. :C ). Also got a man coming round tonight to (hopefuly) give me some money for a portrait of his daughter I did. Sunday will be a day of gaming, drawing and rest. Oh and getting the ringing out of my ears after having a party at a soft play area. 

What're you getting up to?
EDITED: 31 Mar 2017 10:19 by GRAPHITONE
To: ANT_THOMAS 4 of 24
Working in London, so I travel home on Fri  (bounce)
EDITED: 31 Mar 2017 10:35 by HERMAND
To: graphitone 5 of 24
Oof - soft play birthday parties! Fair play for baking the cake, though - post some pics when it's done. 

Tomorrow I'm off out for brunch with some ex work colleagues, and then on Sunday I'm scheduled in to do a solo flying lesson to land at another airport for the first time. Weather forecast isn't amazing, though, so I'm not sure if that'll come off.
To: Dan (HERMAND) 6 of 24
Will do.

Piloting? Good luck with that! :) When you say a solo lesson, are you by yourself and teaching yourself, or flying by yourself, but with an instructor who can shout at you when you reach for the ejector seat lever instead of the landing gear one?
To: graphitone 7 of 24
By myself in the literal sense - getting your pilots license is an odd one because you need to do a certain amount of hours, and a certain amount of sorties, solo before you can actually do your test and receive your license. In effect, some of the examination is devolved to your instructor.

So I'm signed off to fly the plane myself but I've not landed anywhere else by myself yet (Done it twice with an instructor), so this is another step up. Can't take passengers or anything, obviously, and any flying I do is basically under my instructors license so we have to have a big briefing where he double checks my planning and the weather etc.
EDITED: 31 Mar 2017 12:39 by HERMAND
To: Dan (HERMAND) 8 of 24
Writing begging letters :(
To: Dan (HERMAND) 9 of 24
Recovering from a brutaltastic hangover ATM (my weekend starts Thurs. night). Had an awesome Insurgency session: first time I killed all the enemies, didn't die once, and even blew up the enemy cache FTW (Market - Hunt in solo).

Hair of the dog this evening. Sat & Sun: Haircut & beard trim, cockroach extermination, walk, laundry. Oh, and loads of movies of course (we're currently watching a French TV series, Les Revenants among several on deck). May have to do a TWR or three.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 10 of 24
Ooh, I miss Insurgency - haven't had much chance to play it since the end of last year. One of my favourite games ever I think, really enjoy how it plays. I'll send my SteamID over later

The cockroach killing and hair maintenance aren't part of the same piece of work are they?

EDITED: 31 Mar 2017 14:20 by HERMAND
To: Dan (HERMAND) 11 of 24
Although that would be convenient  :-@ , no, they are separate but equal tasks.
To: Dan (HERMAND) 12 of 24
Oh man, so jealous. I'd bloody love to do that. Had a flying lesson about 19 years ago and that was awesome. How long did it take you to get to that stage? Think you'll be nervous on your own?
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 13 of 24
Yeah, it's been a dream of mine since I was an early teen. I'm quite behind in my training as I took the best part of a year off to do my house, but it took me 14hrs of instruction to go solo. I'm at 30 something hours now, and literally just back to where I was 12 months ago. Almost to the week, actually - I should have done the flight I'm planning for Sun this time last year.

Always a bit weird being up by yourself, but like I say, it's only the landing away that's new
EDITED: 31 Mar 2017 21:57 by HERMAND
To: Dan (HERMAND) 14 of 24
Done did a crazy week (for eg: on Thursday one of my clients Whatsapp messaged me exactly 100 times as well as sending several emails and four phone calls plus some missed calls) and at the same time as all that we were having a bit of a bad one with the boy (he is Not A Sleeper, still) so  things are kinda fraught. But! My M-I-L is unexpectedly back in the UK and Tina has taken Dylan there for the night and I've gone out for some beers and tomorrow I can wake up late and my goodness I needed that. 
Got some debts to pay by Saturday evening but I think it'll be OK.
EDITED: 1 Apr 2017 01:27 by MILKO
To: Dan (HERMAND) 15 of 24
Stephen wanted a Mr. Freeze cake for his birthday, so a Mr. Freeze cake he got:

To: graphitone 16 of 24
That is bloody awesome!
To: Dan (HERMAND) 17 of 24
Cheers! It turned out better than I thought. I wanted to make a freeze gun out of marshmallows, but couldn't find any cocktail sticks to bind them all together.
To: graphitone 18 of 24
:D

My attempts at cake really show the limits of my artistic ability :(
To: ALL19 of 24
Its Friday again! Woot. Also, it stopped snowing and is supposed to be warm and sunny tomorrow. Which is good because I'm getting bored with Fallout 4.  Time to go outside!  
To: Linn (INDYLS) 20 of 24
There's an outside in Fallout 4 too, and it doesn't have snow there.