Rollcall

To: ALL14 of 103
I still get on most days. It's too quiet though, innit.
To: milko 15 of 103
True dat. What can we do to get more posts going?

More random topics would be good as would more hobby stuffs. Apart from gaming and raspberry Pi's and falling from ladders I don't really know what people get up to outside work...
To: graphitone 16 of 103
Maybe a random post generator which creates random posts with a random title at set intervals. Might get people replying in them if they sound interesting enough.
To: graphitone 17 of 103
We always need more movie reviews, and they don't have to be limited to ten words, contrary to urban legend.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 18 of 103
Yes they do.
To: koswix 19 of 103
No. :-O~~~
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 20 of 103
Movie reviews on Teh forum have always been limited to
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 21 of 103
And Knowing: Started with an interesting premise but turned into
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 22 of 103
 LMAO
To: milko 23 of 103
I know what you mean. The main problem is that people used to discuss a lot of day-to-day things, but these days people just moan on Facebook instead.

I suppose we could always complete the 2007 Forum Awards then make a start on the 2008 ones, plenty of catching up to be done there!
To: ALL24 of 103
I check-in here at least once a week.
To: Dan (HERMAND) 25 of 103
I still check in reglierly.
To: Dave!! 26 of 103
I've gotta say I'm getting bored of many aspects of Facebook and I'm finding it less and less useful. Too much interference in what posts I am seeing
To: Dan (HERMAND) 27 of 103
32GB at the moment - even I think that's overkill!  :-&
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 28 of 103
It's a TWR, right? That's potentially a lot of words, if you want it to be. Or it's a Tingle Widger Reciprocator, the choices are almost endless.
To: graphitone 29 of 103
Yeah we don't really discuss much in the way of current affairs or art or sport or whatever these days. It mainly needs a lot of threads starting. And then some people to reply to them. And then probably IMs and social media to be uninvented, but hrmm.
To: milko 30 of 103
Well, we've got Smiffy who's rivalling Jonathan Ross in terms of number of film critiques, so that's a start.

I know a few people here are into photography, so that's something else to discuss and post stuff for a bit of a talking point.

That reminds me, on a hobby note I recently liberated an old board game from my Mum's house, she was having a clear out and found the HeroQuest my brother and I had. It was semi produced by Citadel Miniatures and came with a little army of orcs et al. I thought I'd have a go at repainting some of the figures as my 12 year old self had three pots of (brown) enamel paint and what must have been the modelling equivalent of a 4" decorators brush. Never been into wargaming/warhammer etc, but I like me a bit of modelling, so it's turned into a nice little distraction. Plus my boys are wanting to play the thing too, so it's pretty cool they're liking something I liked as a kid. I have no idea if how I'm painting them is any good, so if anyone's got an expert opinion, let me know.

To: Dave!! 31 of 103
The last thing I heard about Delphi was they were trying to mimic Facebook, and going to drop the classic layout many of their users prefer. If they do drop the classic layout, I've offered hosting at BeehiveForum.US to any who want off Delphi. A lot of people I know are not liking the idea of being forced to use something they don't like, and I can't say I blame them.

One guy told me he'd thought about Beehive, but thought it was too buggy. I asked him when he last looked at it, and he said years back. I told him he needs to take another look, because he's wrong. I also told him he should've been in Delphi back when they were inventing buggy forums and chats. I told him I can remember when nothing worked and entire forums were lost. Days on end of downtime and no one could access Delphi at all. He couldn't believe we were talking about the same place, until other people confirmed what I was telling him. He seemed to think Delphi just popped up all pretty and nice. I told him, as far as I know, Beehive's track record is a lot cleaner and stronger than Delphi's.

I've had few real issues with it, and when I do, it's usually my tinkering. lol Not Beehive, plus when you contact Matt for help, he actually gets things sorted. Delphi staff has never struck me with being truly responsive to user needs or issues, just what they themselves feel like doing for themselves.

You can tell Matt cares, which is a very big plus for Beehive and anyone who uses it.

Delphi can bite me. I LOVE BEEHIVE AND AJAX CHAT! :-D

EDITED: 28 Mar 2017 03:23 by CYBATRON
To: DeannaG (CYBATRON) 32 of 103
It was Delphi going down the paid route (DelphiPlus) that was one of the catalysts for Matt, Rendle and others to create Beehive in the first place I seem to recall. My main memory of Delphi was of really silly and obvious bugs that they never seemed to fix - like the "display 20 posts" option that didn't work. I wonder if they ever did get around to fixing that?
To: Dave!! 33 of 103
I think they did, but I couldn't tell you when it actually happened. I remember a bunch of people who couldn't get into chat for the longest time. I don't know if they ever got that fixed or not.

The only issue we've had with Ajax Chat and Beehive is when someone actually logs out of chat they can't get back into it until they dump their cookies, then log back into the forums. So we just go rid of the logout button in the chat and told people not to log out. The system eventually removes them from the room, but they can still come back in later, unless a mod kicks them, then they're out for 24hrs.

I go through Delphi once in a great while to say Hello to a few and drop promotional links. Otherwise, I don't bother with the place. The final straw for me was when they started the member packages and I paid for one, then they changed it the next week and took away half of what I paid for in the process. I asked for a refund, and got crap about it. They'll never see another cent from me. In my opinion, they can't be trusted in any sense of the word.

I did get asked at one point why Beehive wasn't automated like Delphi, click a few buttons and set up a forum, and I told them Beehive is set up to give the users freedom but the site owner control. This makes it possible for the site owner to protect the site and the people who use it. I'm glad Beehive isn't automated creation of forums by any member. I like being able to tell bad people you can't have a forum on my site, like pedophiles and such. I hope Beehive never becomes automated like Delphi and similar places. Beehive is a much better system all around.