Collaborative editing of documents

To: ALL1 of 4
Anyone got any good experience of some sort of collaborative document editing software, mainly for Excel spreadsheets?

I imagine this is a common issue and has possibly been solved with one of Microsoft's more online versions of office? But in my new job there's a large amount of costings spreadsheets that fly around for new projects, everyone has their input and their little bit to sort. Problem is when people start emailing the documents rather than editing on the shared drives. Which then results in stuff getting missed, copy of copy of copy of etc.

I think a simple rule of, don't email the document, email a link, would help massively, and many people do stick to that already. But some people still send the file as an attachment which ruins the whole process.
To: ANT_THOMAS 2 of 4
Google Sheets does that automatically, though I don't know how "live" it updates the other open copies if you're updating something in a spreadsheet.

Office365 can do this too through Sharepoint (I love O365 Sharepoint), but I think it's less simultaneous-multi-user. You can use the web version of Excel to edit a spreadsheet that's online in Sharepoint, which as far as I remember locks the spreadsheet so that there are no conflicts.

Or you could write something in MS Access?
  (rar)
To: ANT_THOMAS 3 of 4
This is a common issue and has definitely been solved BY USING THE RIGHT FUCKING TOOL FOR THE JOB: I.E. A DATABASE WITH AN ONLINE GUI.

You should configure Exchange to block attachments for internal messages and go thump everyone who complains.

Also, everyone who recommends Sharepoint needs a slap too.

To: ALL4 of 4
Sergiuiuiui is right about Google Sheets.  You can tweak collaboratively, with a live message feed on the same page.  If it's anything like Google Docs, then it updates in something like real time.