Linux wifi help :(

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 14 of 19
That's a bit shit, freedom should include being able to install whatever you want without being restricted to what some group of people say you should/shouldn't.
To: ANT_THOMAS 15 of 19
Yep, goes against "The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose" and "The freedom to ... change it so it does your computing as you wish"

No point arguing that though - they'd just say having the source code means you're free to modify it, (whilst insisting immediately that doing so would be the worst thing ever).

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 16 of 19
I had a very quick search to see what support that distro had for Intel WiFi (obviously little or none), and the first few forum posts were just people getting angry for others linking to non-free proprietary firmwares. At which point I thought, I'm not Richard Stallman so I really don't care.
To: ANT_THOMAS 17 of 19
Richard cares so you don't have to.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 18 of 19
It's a massive weight off my penguin shoulders.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 19 of 19
It's the nature of the beast though innit. If you want to be *100% certain* that there's nothing proprietary on your machine, then Trisquel is the right choice. Which means for the vast majority of people in the vast majority of situations, it's a terrible choice.

There are *plenty* of other distros (Debian's a good choice for a fairly hard-line but still sane approach to freeness).