Dead computer

To: ANT_THOMAS 20 of 33
Dead drive. It's been running for weeks (maybe longer) from memory. I'm been able to vnc to it, use the console for ssh and open a file in geany. Anything else it was throwing "file system read only" errors. When I tried to reboot today, bios shows nada for hdd. It's MrsD.'s old refurb HP SFF desktop (with original, 20GB drive) that she had for a few years and I set it up as a server about 4-years ago.
EDITED: 9 Jan 2017 02:51 by DSMITHHFX
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 21 of 33
Important stuff backed up?

I learnt my lesson a while back and I'm glad to use CrashPlan
To: ANT_THOMAS 22 of 33
This server had nothing important on it. I've only used it to ssh from plus some light webdev for at least a year.
To: ALL23 of 33
Another try this morning before I was going to take it all back to the place I bought the parts and it's working again. I certainly don't trust that PSU so I'll be buying a new one.
To: ANT_THOMAS 24 of 33
You bought said parts fairly recently?
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 25 of 33
April 2015. So not too long ago, but well outside a 12 month window if that's what guarantee I have. The PSU has a 3 year warranty though, but how I go about proving an intermittent fault, I don't know. For around £40 I don't think it's worth the hassle of trying to claim.
To: ANT_THOMAS 26 of 33
Bummer. I started shopping for a replacement drive and noticed I can get a 128G solid state for about the same as a 500G spinner (which capacity might be nice to have, but I sort of don't really need atm).

Tempting...
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 27 of 33
Also tempted with an SSD for the server boot drive. As well as for my laptop and normal PC. Also tempted with a new laptop.
To: ANT_THOMAS 28 of 33
The drive is definitely dead. I stuck a usb adaptor on it. First try I could hear it spinning up, but it was not recognized by my main pc. Then it just stopped spinning. I remembered why I'd only been using the server as an ssh and scanner slave over vnc: it's an HP dx5150, and not the dc5750 as I'd hoped (MrsD's replacement model). SATA1, DDR1... not really worth any upgrades. I can get a 160GB pull drive for $16. That's about what it's worth. Ho hum. I do have an athlon x2 that I might stick in it to replace the 3200 x1. No harm in that I guess, if it posts.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 29 of 33
My issue with old computers like that is the power consumption - that's if energy use is a concern to you. Looks like the AMD 64 3200 in that system possibly has a TDP of 89W depending on the generation. Though if you have the parts spare I guess it's still cheaper to spend that small amount more on electricity for a couple of years than buy something new and low-power.
To: ANT_THOMAS 30 of 33
We don't pay separate electric, it's included in the rent.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 31 of 33
Well in that case, who cares!
To: ANT_THOMAS 32 of 33
Well, we do turn off the AC in winter...
To: ALL33 of 33
I ordered a used drive online I won't be seeing for a week, so when I got home I discovered a 6-7 years old 500G under a pile of rubbish, stuck it in and installed ubuntu 16.04 lts to it. I was a bit amazed it recognized the full size of the drive. Odd problem, when it goes to sleep in power-saving mode (must remember to turn that off) I can't seem to wake it up again with mouse or kb, it needs a hard reset (with no reset or poweroff button*, this means pulling the plug from its superior NA-style wall socket). This happened with the live dvd and now booted off the hdd. Maybe there's some bios setting needs looking at.

Edit: before turning it off last thing last night (still unable to wake it up), I checked the psu fan at the back and it was blowing really, really hot. So that's something to look at.

Edit II: So I RTFM, and it turns out holding the power button down for 4-seconds is supposed to power it off, and (if asleep) just punching it is supposed to wake (this did not appear to work yesterday).
EDITED: 12 Jan 2017 16:34 by DSMITHHFX