Res vs Hz

To: Chris (CHRISSS) 3 of 33
That is what I testing on the weekend. I have spent a while reading about this on line but it all boils down to:
Gamers: FPS IS KING I WILL FRAG YOU WITH MY FAST MONITOR SPEEEDZ etc..
Normal people: IPS screen is just nicer to work with

So I asking teh for there opinions on this matter.

To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 4 of 33
Not having compared them side by side, my instinct would say that the refresh on a LCD panel is completely fucking irrelevant (as long as it's over what your eye can notice). 

Sound is processed much quicker by your brain, so if you're worried about reaction times in games strap a hi-fi to our head.
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 5 of 33
I'm pretty sceptical about the value of 144hz for anything but very serious CS or something like that. I think GPU manufacturers just decided that since games aren't becoming much more demanding we should all run them faster so we have to buy new cards. And convinced the monitor manufacturers that this would be cool.

Reported response times are always bullshit but TNs will always be quicker than IPSes. If you're good enough at FPSes for this to matter then it will matter. A bit.

IPSes are much better at colours but shit at blacks. TNs are better at blacks but pretty shit at colours (though they're much better than they used to be).

I'd go with the IPS (I have a Dell IPS too and it's lovely).

But why not just plug both in and then you can run the game on whichever you like.

To: koswix 6 of 33
My reaction times are the same now as there were when I was a...

<gets hit by a slow flying moth>

To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 7 of 33
Thank you Xen, thats my plan for the weekend.
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 8 of 33
It's shocking innit. When I play CS these days I literally can't keep up. I just aim for not being bottom :C
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 9 of 33
My mouse sucks. But if I got a better one, I'd have no excuse :-{)
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 10 of 33
I keep seeing you playing L4D2 when I'm playing other games. Play when I am not playing another game so I can join you.
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 11 of 33
I know very little about these things these days, but do you think with the quality of LCDs these days you'll actually be able to tell the difference?

Maybe a few years ago, but has LCD tech really improved so much? Response times are tiny all round.
To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 12 of 33
OK, is it you always playing that soccer-car game?
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 13 of 33
Yes it is.
To: ANT_THOMAS 14 of 33
For anyone but a CS pro response times are fine on all panels, yeah (VA and similar tech aside).

Can definitely tell the difference in contrast and colours and that though. But then very few panels are really pure TN or IPS, there's a lot of kinda hybrid techs that don't really fit in either category.

But yeah, I think unless you're buying at the super cheap end, a monitor is a monitor to a large extent these days. They're all good. Which is why they're trying to differentiate with absurd resolutions and high refresh rates and Gsync/Freesync etc..
EDITED: 4 May 2016 19:31 by X3N0PH0N
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 15 of 33
For me, resolution and display quality wins every day over refresh speed. I've never used a modern 60Hz TFT and thought it's slow, jerky, ghosty or whatever.
To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 16 of 33
OK, I'm playing most weeknights from ~5:45-6:45p EST, but lately I've been going back and forth on GRAWF2 for the slower, methodical pace.

Not sure how that would work actually as I pause the game frequently to make/monitor supper. Might be able to get mrs.d to cover for me one night.

Probly better to set up a weekend time where I could play for ~an hour uninterrupted. Also be good to work out a teamspeak mode (see, I bought this headset). They do xp and linux clients along with the usual suspects, but someone has to run a server. The other thing you mentioned don't do xp.
To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 17 of 33
We all need to get together and play something again.  That used to be a blast!
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 18 of 33
Yep.

I'm up for some Vroom too.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 19 of 33
Sounds good to me. Discord is the way to go for voice (I already have a teh server (which you're already in so it turns out I didn't need to mention that)).
To: ALL20 of 33
I remember back before TFT when there was a clear difference between 60Hz and 85Hz, and it was worth switching down to 16-bit colour to get the higher refresh rate.

(I also remember regularly whipping all your arses at /real/ CS, but I coulda done that with 40Mhz too.)

EDITED: 5 May 2016 00:48 by BOUGHTONP
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 21 of 33
CRT pixels refresh (pretty much) instantaneously between states whereas TFT pixels kinda fade in and out so the flicker is far less evident.

To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 22 of 33
I thought it was to do with the way they are addressed. A TFT pixel only changes if it needs to (as in, as long as the voltage is applied the pixel is lit), whereas a CRT pixel has to be relit every frame (unless it's black).