LVDS cables

To: ANT_THOMAS 31 of 37
I have DPI scaling turned on to make text readable on the wee screen. Would be nice if Windows handled it better and scaled all apps, rather than relying on apps to recognise that there's scaling and adapt to it. I'm sure it'll get better with time, though, especially with all the SYNERGIES of MULTI PLATFORM.
To: koswix 32 of 37
Not it's open to normal users, but Android handles this very well.

I've changed the LCD density settings on my last few phones. Default settings on my Nexus 5 make it feel like a Fisher Price phone. Changing the density value massively improves things.
To: ANT_THOMAS 33 of 37
When it's supported in applications it works well on Windows, but in order not to break legacy stuff it's presented as an option rather than a requirement to support it. Newer stuff pretty much handles it by default.

When it does break an app you can disable DPI scaling on a per-application basis in the compatibility settings - that's a much more preferable solution compared to the early days of Android where you just got told it no longer supported your device because your new phone had a different resolution screen.
To: koswix 34 of 37
Yeah I hate that multi-color font-smoothing shit. Unfortunately the alternative is usually worse.
To: koswix 35 of 37
... and the one from China which the tracking number said never got past security, and has since been refunded, has just turned up!

Given the original cable started to fail after barely 12 months I think I'll just keep hold if this one.
To: koswix graphitone 36 of 37
:)  :-O~~~

Re-reading this thread reminded me I'd forgotten to post about the Mr. High Tech licenses.

After their website disappearing mysteriously for a while, it came back and I rang their office in Ireland.

I was told that they'd stopped selling Office 2013 Home and Business edition and had only the Office 2013 Professional licenses.

I said that was ok and (cheekily mentioned) I'll take the Pro licenses over the H&B ones on our original order. They thought that was fine and after a bit of email to and froing after nothing happened we got replacement Pro licenses.

We now need another 6 licenses, and they're again offering H&B on their website. I'm in two minds about using them again and may just go to Microsoft directly to get 'em this time. The extra cost is worth not having to bugger about any.  
EDITED: 26 Apr 2016 11:52 by GRAPHITONE
To: graphitone 37 of 37
Just had a wee look at the cable from China and there's 10 pins at one end that aren't actually connected to anything. On the original and the Belgian replacement they are connected, so presumably they're required. I'll keep this on the shelf just in case, but I don't hold out much hope of it actually working.