First broken bone

To: ANT_THOMAS 8 of 55
Yes, do it. Get it checked out. Floating bits of bones probably not good.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 9 of 55
Collarbone depends where you snap it, I was fortunate and did it right in the middle, best spot apparently with no need for metalwork etc. good luck to Bethany on the cast!
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 10 of 55
Aw the poor Sweetling!

I was an athlete and a tomboy when I was growing up. First broken bone was in my hand when I fell out of a tree at the age of five. Over the years I broke a few more bones, had some sprains and strains, tore some ligaments, but I fun doing it all. lol

I have my share of aches and pains from it all, but like I said, I had fun doing it all. :)
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 11 of 55
Ouch. That sounds painful. Couldn't they have given you something before doing that. Or sent you to sleep before. Sadistic bastards ;)

She's been amazing with it. She was happily watching everything they were doing, had fun having her X-Ray, didn't even complain when she was told she couldn't eat in the morning in case she needed an op. A girl who are two bacon and egg rolls for breakfast the morning before.
To: milko 12 of 55
Ah, lucky you :) Was the on your bike? Did you make a post about it on here?
To: DeannaG (CYBATRON) 13 of 55
Sounds a bit like my daughter. And she was 5 last month. 5 is pretty young to be climbing trees :) So long as you have fun breaking things it's ok ;)
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 14 of 55
Can't remember if I posted but yes, on my bike. Have since dislocated the other shoulder too, which eventually turned into more of a problem actually. Bah.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 15 of 55
Oh I had a lot of fun. We lived near a small patch of woods back then, and there was a stream running through them. I can remember coming home and my Grandmother hosing me off in the backyard, while telling me..."You're a little girl! You're not supposed to look or smell like that!"

My Mother would just start laughing and tell her it takes a lot of dirt to make a pretty flower grow.

There were days I came home so cruddy she hung up a couple tarps and made me strip in the back yard, then hosed me off before she'd let me in the house. lol

I was NOT a Barbie-Play House kind of girl. Drove my Grandmother nuts. lol
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 16 of 55
Hope she's ok for your holiday, sounds like she got off lightly considering how she fell!

I broke my wrist when I was about 8, walking to school on a winter's day. I slipped on some ice and my (then considerable) bulk went down on my wrist. I got through the school day not thinking much about it, but it was hugely swollen come home time, so we went to A&E and I had a cast on for a month.

I fractured my other wrist about 8 years ago coming off my bike; I was out riding and took a corner too quick on a gravel road, the tyres didn't get any purchase and I slid off into a wall. I had a huge bruise on my leg that covered all my shin. :)

I've also had various cracked ribs from karate and my nose busted once or twice, but no breaks. Still hurts like feck though.

To: Chris (CHRISSS) 17 of 55
Oscar broke his arm toboganning down the stairs on a tea tray.  Idiot child.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)26 Jul 2015 17:36
To: Manthorp 18 of 55
Something about fruit and trees springs to mind...
To: Manthorp 19 of 55
Haha, awesome. I'm not sure I ever tried a tea tray but I definitely used to used things to slide down the stairs. Luckily didnt break anything doing it.
To: ALL20 of 55
The clues were there, Mr B & Chrisss.  Straight flight of stairs ending with a square of floor and a wall
To: ALL21 of 55
Hope she's better for the holiday!

Fractures are essentially small breaks, right?

I fractured my left shoulder at school while pro-wrestling in the playground (on grass) and fractured my right elbow about a year later playing football on concrete.
Both times I carried on and didn't go to the hospital until after i'd got home.
Think I broke my right hand about 5/6 years ago punching a patio door. Never had it checked out but feel pain sometimes in the cold.
To: Voltane 22 of 55
Pro-wrestling! I didn't think they paid schoolkids to do it. But siriusly that is a good amount of broken bits you have there. Is there a good story for punching a patio door? 

I once punched a car window quite hard after it (the car) was accelerated at me on a zebra crossing. That hurt a little bit for a couple of days but definitely not a break. I hope your story is gooderer.
To: Voltane 23 of 55
I believe a fracture it just a break, but the bone stays together.

If it separates or breaks through the skin, I believe it's then called a compound fracture.

I could be wrong on it to some degree, but it's what I was told many many years ago.

The old memory ain't what it used to be anymore. :)
To: milko 24 of 55
Well it should be a good story, it was the last time I drank alcohol...but as the following events have been mostly relayed by others I can't go into much detail.

It was a friends birthday party at the house they were renting. I had consumed quite a bit and watched while others swung (briefly) on a chandelier. I apparently decided to have a go with lots of enthusiasm and ended up pulling the chandelier from the ceiling. Not so much it fell on the floor but it was hanging off quite a bit.
I guess because others had been swinging from it and my probably babbling "Sorry" a lot I wasn't thrown out.
Instead I carried on dancing in the living room and popping in and out to where people where talking and smoking. The last time I tried walking out thee patio door must have been shut and I walked into it. I then punched it and smashed it. Probably got told to go home then which I did and then fell asleep.
Woke up the next morning with my hand hurting a lot and my mobile ringing. Some friends asked if I knew what had happened and when I said I didn't told me the above (it became talked about a bit whenever I saw some of them, not so much anymore).

A few days later I went round and saw the damage which I then paid to get repaired - I'm not sure if they ever told the landlord what had happened or not.
I felt ill from the alcohol for a few days afterwards and decided that this was the last time I was going to drink. The pain from the hand kind of went away after a while and I was distracted by making sure I didn't drink while out (I was going to gigs 3 - 4 times a week at this point).
To: milko 25 of 55
As for pro-wrestling, I guess I could have said "wrestling in the playground" but wanted to make it clear (to USAians) it wasn't like college wrestling.
To: ALL26 of 55
Just read that a fracture and a break are the same thing.

We are flying Tuesday and she is having a smaller cast fitted on Monday. Be easier for her than the long one she has now.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 27 of 55
That will be nice for her. Will they let her pick a color for it?

When my daughter broke hers they let pick a color for her cast, then later on, her and her friends decorated it. :)