First broken bone

To: ALL1 of 55
Not me. I did mine 23 years ago. My daughter. Nice big cast (pink obviously) all the way up her arm. Right at the start of summer holidays and three weeks before we're due to fly to Lanzarote.

She did at least do it in a stylish way. She ran from her slide and jumped onto her swing on her tummy trying to be superman (or girl), swung skyward, did a back flip and landed on her head. Somewhere along the way breaking her arm.
EDITED: 20 Jul 2015 17:35 by CHRISSS
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 2 of 55
I made it to my mid-30s before I broke a bone, the collarbone being the thing I did. I wonder if my son will be so fortunate, at 19 months it's probably a bit early to judge but he does throw himself around a bit wildly at times. And has a bit of an attention-span issue (eg taking a hand off the handlebars on his bike to point at a cat, not looking where he's going).

Kids seem to heal up pretty quick, I bet your daughter doesn't have to have the cast for long. Is it at least small enough not to restrict her fun too much?
EDITED: 20 Jul 2015 17:39 by MILKO
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)20 Jul 2015 17:56
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 3 of 55
Given how she landed, it could've bee a whole lot worse. Still, get well soon little Chrisssette!

Technically I've never broken a bone, although fixing my torn ACL did require bone drillage
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 4 of 55
Ouch!

I've not had a broken bone diagnosed but I think I chipped my elbow about a year ago. Stag weekend in Munich, I vaguely remember being in the floor outside some club and getting in a taxi. Very sore elbow and grazed hip the next morning, not my finest moment. The elbow hasn't felt the same since, quite literally feels like there's something floating in there. Should probably get it checked out.

May have also damaged my knuckles through TKD about 7 years ago too.
To: milko 5 of 55
Ouch. Collar bone is pretty nasty to break isn't it? I got run over when I was 11 and broke my wrist. Lucky I didn't do more damage.

I'm surprised neither have broken anything until now. So many bumps and scrapes and the little one copies everything Bethany does.

We had to see the consultant this morning because they were a little worried about the position of the break, and it could possibly slip and need pinning. Check up next week and they said they'd see her again in 4 weeks (from now). Told them we're flying in 3 and they said they'd see her again in 3 instead. Fingers crossed it can come off, at least cut down so it's just the bottom part for hols.
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 6 of 55
Thanks. So true. We both saw it happen and were worried the way her head hit the ground and she screamed. Didn't realise it was her arm she was screaming about.

That doesn't sound like fun. Did it hurt?
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)20 Jul 2015 21:27
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 7 of 55
The drilling didn't hurt, I was under general anaesthetic. The breakage was painful. But not nearly as painful as being prepped for surgery.

As I was lying on the slab, with my knee pointing in the wrong direction, one of the male nurses picked my leg up and smacked it into position. I almost hit the ceiling. The anaesthetist leant over me and asked me where it hurt. FFS!

All I could do was reply, weakly, "my...knee!" I bit my tongue and left out the "where the fuck do you think you stupid cow?"

Your daughter looks pretty cool about it all though! :)
To: ANT_THOMAS 8 of 55
Yes, do it. Get it checked out. Floating bits of bones probably not good.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 9 of 55
Collarbone depends where you snap it, I was fortunate and did it right in the middle, best spot apparently with no need for metalwork etc. good luck to Bethany on the cast!
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 10 of 55
Aw the poor Sweetling!

I was an athlete and a tomboy when I was growing up. First broken bone was in my hand when I fell out of a tree at the age of five. Over the years I broke a few more bones, had some sprains and strains, tore some ligaments, but I fun doing it all. lol

I have my share of aches and pains from it all, but like I said, I had fun doing it all. :)
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 11 of 55
Ouch. That sounds painful. Couldn't they have given you something before doing that. Or sent you to sleep before. Sadistic bastards ;)

She's been amazing with it. She was happily watching everything they were doing, had fun having her X-Ray, didn't even complain when she was told she couldn't eat in the morning in case she needed an op. A girl who are two bacon and egg rolls for breakfast the morning before.
To: milko 12 of 55
Ah, lucky you :) Was the on your bike? Did you make a post about it on here?
To: DeannaG (CYBATRON) 13 of 55
Sounds a bit like my daughter. And she was 5 last month. 5 is pretty young to be climbing trees :) So long as you have fun breaking things it's ok ;)
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 14 of 55
Can't remember if I posted but yes, on my bike. Have since dislocated the other shoulder too, which eventually turned into more of a problem actually. Bah.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 15 of 55
Oh I had a lot of fun. We lived near a small patch of woods back then, and there was a stream running through them. I can remember coming home and my Grandmother hosing me off in the backyard, while telling me..."You're a little girl! You're not supposed to look or smell like that!"

My Mother would just start laughing and tell her it takes a lot of dirt to make a pretty flower grow.

There were days I came home so cruddy she hung up a couple tarps and made me strip in the back yard, then hosed me off before she'd let me in the house. lol

I was NOT a Barbie-Play House kind of girl. Drove my Grandmother nuts. lol
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 16 of 55
Hope she's ok for your holiday, sounds like she got off lightly considering how she fell!

I broke my wrist when I was about 8, walking to school on a winter's day. I slipped on some ice and my (then considerable) bulk went down on my wrist. I got through the school day not thinking much about it, but it was hugely swollen come home time, so we went to A&E and I had a cast on for a month.

I fractured my other wrist about 8 years ago coming off my bike; I was out riding and took a corner too quick on a gravel road, the tyres didn't get any purchase and I slid off into a wall. I had a huge bruise on my leg that covered all my shin. :)

I've also had various cracked ribs from karate and my nose busted once or twice, but no breaks. Still hurts like feck though.

To: Chris (CHRISSS) 17 of 55
Oscar broke his arm toboganning down the stairs on a tea tray.  Idiot child.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)26 Jul 2015 17:36
To: Manthorp 18 of 55
Something about fruit and trees springs to mind...
To: Manthorp 19 of 55
Haha, awesome. I'm not sure I ever tried a tea tray but I definitely used to used things to slide down the stairs. Luckily didnt break anything doing it.
To: ALL20 of 55
The clues were there, Mr B & Chrisss.  Straight flight of stairs ending with a square of floor and a wall