MPD

To: ALL1 of 11
MPD being Music Player Daemon on linux. It's bloody good isn't it?

I'd only really been using it as part of Volumio on an RPi but today I was messing with an old phone (HTC Sensation) to try and use it as some sort of music remote/player in the kitchen.

After trying various things I ended up installing CyanogenMod 12.1, aMPD and mounting my music network share.

aMPD is an MPD server for Android. Phone is hooked up to an amp+speakers, plugged in and hidden away.

Controlled via MPDroid on another phone or with any MPC software on a computer.

Seems like a decent way to repurpose an old Android phone currently sitting in a drawer gathering dust.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)12 Jul 2015 17:18
To: ANT_THOMAS 2 of 11
Linux? Isn't that what nerds use in place of self flagellation?
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 3 of 11
No, it's like os x except it's free, more secure, easier to install software to, customize, troubleshoot, upgrade and maintain, and runs on any hardware. Also useful for recovering windows.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)12 Jul 2015 18:40
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 4 of 11
I expected nothing better from you
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 5 of 11
You're welcome!
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 6 of 11
Quote: 
No, it's like os x except it's free, more secure, easier to install software to, customize, troubleshoot, upgrade and maintain, and runs on any hardware. Also useful for recovering windows [sic].
^ This.
EDITED: 13 Jul 2015 04:21 by FIXRMAN
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 7 of 11
So are you saying that you don't use Linux and engage in self-flagellation?
To: ANT_THOMAS 8 of 11
What spec does that old phone have? This'd be perfect for a kitchen media player for me... We've got a CD player/mini hifi thing in there and it's 3 floors away from the CDs. As I'm a lazy bugger and not want to be shifting stuff all over the house, streaming it from the network share would be ace. However... I've only got a very old Galaxy Ace lying around and I'm not sure if it'll be up to the job.
To: graphitone 9 of 11
The phone is a HTC Sensation, I'll try and find out what the actual audio spec is. They did release a Beats version (Sensation XE) which was actually exactly the same spec, just CPU clocked a bit higher and came with some Beats earphones so I imagine the audio side of things is reasonable.

I bet the Galaxy Ace is more than good enough. First of all I'd copy some music to it and just try it.

Edit: If you want to use the Galaxy Ace as the music player but to also control then you'll need a music app rather than use aMPD.
EDITED: 13 Jul 2015 09:27 by ANT_THOMAS
To: graphitone 10 of 11
To: ANT_THOMAS 11 of 11
:) ace, new project!