win10 excitement

To: Chris (CHRISSS) 111 of 123
If you choose hibernate on mine it acts like it's hibernating, but when you boot up again it's a fresh boot. There's nothing in error logs etc. to say the hibernate failed. Sometimes it works, though.
To: koswix 112 of 123
I'm sure I used to have a computer that used to do that when trying to put it into standby. Never used the hibernate mode til I've had this laptop. And power options in the BIOS related to it maybe? Had a fucking sod of a job changing the PCV hose on the Mondeo. Had to remove loads of electrical connections, clips for cables and hoses routed around it, 8 bolts holding it in place, 2 were fairly easy, 2 were awkward and the rest just couldn't be seen without holding my mobile with the camera switched on with the torch pointing between bits of car to direct myself on the screen. 2 big splits in it and the car is mostly back together now.
To: koswix 113 of 123
What does your Event Viewer show when tell it to hibernate? Mine says it is entering sleep, then returned from a low power state when it comes back.

Interestingly it also says:
The system firmware has changed the processor's memory type range registers (MTRRs) across a sleep state transition (S5). This can result in reduced resume performance.

whatever that means.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 114 of 123
Haven't checked event viewer lately, but there wasn't much in as far as I recall.

As for bios settings, for a laptop that's supposed to be customisable, it's surprisingly locked down.
To: koswix 115 of 123
I discovered that MS balanced a bowl of water on the door for home network users upgrading to 10 who don't use homegroups but naively followed the recommended 'use your MS account details' for an ID and password.

It may not hit that many users, but from Windows 8 onwards if you use an MS account to log on and you want to view shares on other PCs on a home network that are also at 8 or above, Windows imposes a sort of bodged domain network model. You are required to enter an ID and password to view shares, your 'domain' is the name of your PC, and it royally screws things like network drives mapped to shares.

I never noticed this before because I had a mixture of boxes at 7 and 8. It's a pain to work round in 8 and 8.1 but relatively easy to switch to a local user in 10 if you know what the problem is and that this is the way to fix it. It wasn't something I'd ever seen publicised, and judging from the other bewildered users floundering around with half-arsed fixes, I'm not alone.

The issue is compounded because the 'join a domain or workgroup' wizard is broken for many users but in a way that gives the impression that something other than the wizard is broken - i.e. when you check the radio button to indicate that this is mainly a home PC and not business, the wizard hangs for a bit, tells you to restart (without asking what workgroup of domain you want), sets your work group back to the default 'workgroup' and when you restart you find that it's defaulted back to 'this PC is part of a business network'.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 116 of 123
How does it work if you use a homegroup?

Can't say i've noticed any changes in how the network is handled from 8.1. When I did the upgrade install I'm sure my mapped drive to my Raspberry Pi showed up as normal :|
To: koswix 117 of 123
I couldn't say - I've never used a homegroup

As for the mapped drive thing, I assume you weren't running Windows 8 on your pi. The situation arises when a windows machine tries to see shares on another windows machine, both machines are at 8 or above and the one you're logged on to is using a Microsoft account (koswix@outlook.com etc.) as a user ID.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 118 of 123
Ah. What if both have logged in with an Ms account.
To: koswix 119 of 123
Again, I don't know because I haven't tried.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 120 of 123
Is there a reason you don't use home groups? I switched it on as soon I got windows 7, it makes windows to Windows networking a lot easier/more reliable.
To: koswix 121 of 123
Because I had XP and Linux running with Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 (and a bit of Android and whatever crap all the other toys use) and it all worked fine. Then when I rebuilt the XP box and put Windows 7 on it, it still worked fine, so I didn't bother with homegroups because I didn't think it was a good idea to poke at a network that worked. I only had a problem when I put Windows 10 onto the Windows boxes and the account thing kicked in.

To: william (WILLIAMA) 122 of 123
I just rebooted my laptop, first time since installing WinX. My usual password didn't log me in. Realised it had decided to use my Hotmail as the user account. I use KeePass for Hotmail passwords so had to find my silly long password on my phone.
To: ALL123 of 123
And I noticed some strange things happening like the icons in the taskbar being hidden my the Cort Ana and task buttons but that was due to still having Start8 installed.