Dumb question

From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)20 May 2015 08:30
To: ALL1 of 58
The BBC asks "Why do US police keep killing unarmed black men?"

Duh, it's because they're fat and can't run fast, so they're easier to hit than deer.
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 2 of 58
Oh. I thought it was because most of the police are jaded and prejudiced white men who watch too many cop shows and movies; who are overpaid and underworked donut eaters whose constant struggle to be a relevant crime fighter and an honest man creates a dichotomy where the cop is a jangly bundle of nerves against his awareness of right and wrong.

That, and with all this talk of ISIS, biker gangs needing parking spaces and a lack of good paying jobs, they are all hopped up on adrenaline, sugar, pork fat and potatoes, so need an outlet for all that aggression. Since their Bat Belt is loaded up with their sidearm, radios, handcuffs and other accoutrements, they have bad backs; basketball pulled belly aside - prednisone helps the back strain but makes the cop jittery and excitable.

Plus, many cops are wannabe lawyers and part time skinheads who aren't too off the fringe of crime themselves. Along comes a young black punk who just stole a 5-pack of gum, running away - what's a cracker to do? Put that nigga down! That's what they get told in KKK meetings because those niggas listen to rap music by Kanye West that has those young black bucks ready to jump on some White Women if'n somebody ain't watchin'.

Well, maybe the cop just had a fight with his old lady or the ex and was already in a pissy mood. Perhaps he had a few too many the night before in his job as a part-time bartender and he is suffering from a lack of sleep. He has to work a lot because the materialistic bitch he's with wants more, more, more - but not in the bedroom.

Most of the cops are fat as well (fatter than the perps in many cases), so they can't run fast making it easier to pull out the Glock 19 and bust a coupla caps in the perp.

But I'm just guessing.

EDITED: 20 May 2015 11:47 by FIXRMAN
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)20 May 2015 12:29
To: fixrman 3 of 58
I prefer my niggers-rather-than-deer theory myself.
To: fixrman 4 of 58
 (nod)
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 5 of 58
To: fixrman 6 of 58
<applause>
Message 41485.7 was deleted
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)20 May 2015 18:22
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 8 of 58
Holy crap!  :-O
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 9 of 58
They can hit all the deer they want with the cruiser any early morning or evening. Fat asses can stay in the car eating doughnut.
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 10 of 58
Actually I'd have thought that someone from the U.K., being somewhat more socially advanced than the U.S., would not be using such a disparaging and ironically insulting term as "nigger".
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)21 May 2015 13:07
To: fixrman 11 of 58
I shit on political correctness.

Just as I detest the hijacking of the word 'gay' by the homosexual community.
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 12 of 58
You shit on yourself.  Seriously, stuff like that could be career-limiting.
To: fixrman 13 of 58
I reckon it's that we've developed a different vernacular, but the words we use are just as disparaging a term(s). Nigger's a very Americanised word and while it's no doubt used the English speaking world over it's not utilised that much here when wanting to sound racist/shock people. From my own experience, I hear it used in American music and from American comedians, but rarely elsewhere. In the racist times I know about (my parent's generation growing up in the 50s and 60s) terms like wop and wog were bandied about with abandon, they were used on prime time BBC for feck's sake. There's an episode of Fawlty Towers (late 70s show, I think) where the Major refers to black people as 'wogs'. Then came a kind of national embarrassment about it all and it was decreed that those terms were pretty awful and things got banned, like golliwogs. They used to be the logo for Robinson's marmalade and featured in loads of Enid Blyton stories, often, unfortunately, as a perpetrator/instigator of some mischievous toyland crime.

Anywho, they were 'our' words to describe the sort of person people in America would use to describe the sort of person in question and they were definitely more prevalent before the taboos kicked in.
EDITED: 22 May 2015 08:31 by GRAPHITONE
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 14 of 58
Not to mention unhygienic.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)21 May 2015 17:10
To: graphitone 15 of 58
The revisionists have rewritten Enid Blyton's works to take out anything offensive like golliwogs. Pity they can't do the same to Jeremy Clarkson really, there'd be nothing left.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)21 May 2015 17:13
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 16 of 58
I shit on political correctness.
You shit on yourself.

No, on political correctness. I am not politically correct, nor am I political correctness itself. Ergo, I do not shit on myself and your assertion is, accordingly, bollocks.

To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 17 of 58
(giggle)

Shurley there must have been other children's writers that included references to golliwogs. Wonder if they got the same attention? Or was Enid the only racist out there? I know from a recent edition we've got, her 'Faraway Tree' books have had a character name edited from Fanny to Franny. Less contentious, but shows the progress the easily offended have made. That said language is always evolving and what meant one thing back in Enid's day can and does mean something different nowadays. Something has to give and to be honest I'm not so entrenched in nostalgia and rose tint that I couldn't bear her hallowed tomes from ever being changed from the original.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)21 May 2015 17:38
To: graphitone 18 of 58

You can tell her books are old fashioned because Mr Policeman doesn't shoot the golliwogs.

quote: graphitone
I'm not so entrenched in nostalgia and rose tint that I couldn't bear her hallowed tomes from ever being changed from the original.

I'm not particularly entrenched in nostalgia, and I find her writing a bit excruciating now TBH, but changing her words to suit political correctness or modern social mores is just plain wrong IMO. It would be like covering Michelangelo's David because he's showing his 'thingy'.

What are they going to do with Fanny By Gaslight?

EDITED: 21 May 2015 17:39 by MR_BASTARD
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 19 of 58
Your funeral, your way.

:-&
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 20 of 58
That's similar to what some olden days people did with statues around the Vatican. Some overly pious types decided willies weren't appropriate and chopped them off.
EDITED: 22 May 2015 08:38 by GRAPHITONE