Gutted my MotoX - Long Post Alert

To: ALL1 of 5
~ Long Post Alert! ~

You've been warned. Get tea.

So recent revoltin' developments caused me to gut my MotoX and make one "good" one out of two.

My first MotoX had scratches on the screen within about 6 hours or so of use, so Motorola finally sent me a new one, no charge. I had the new one for a few days and it slides off the car seat whilst pumping petrol and shatters the screen.  :-/ All of this happened a while ago, so I simply reverted back to the original phone despite the scratched screen. :-(

Yeah - I know. Put a case on it, idiot. But I feel that the cases take away from the function of the phone. I like naked, the more naked, the better. I always used my BlackBerrys naked and they survived ice deliveries, beer deliveries - you name it - even though BB doesn't have the all new for 2013 Gorilla Glass III (impervious to damage)!!!

So fast forward a bit, where I drop the phone and it somehow manages to land right on the power/sleep button. So I have to be careful with the way I hold the phone or it powers off. The other day I am trying to get someone on the phone quickly before they depart a meeting place and I drop the phone in the toilet. Multitasking.  :-D

The phone actually survives that (even after a quick rinse), but after a visit yesterday to the Franklin Institute Science Museum (taking lots of display pictures), it starts powering off and on like a jackrabbit humping in a mating frenzy. I am ready to launch it into a wall.

So brother from Florida (visit) and I decide to make 2 out of one. He was going to replace his screen glass that he shattered a month ago, but ended up replacing it with an HTC. I took the guts from shattered phone and transferred them to the phone having only scratched, damage-impervious GGIII. I now see why Motorola sells the glass and digitiser together; that AMOLED screen must be only about 1mm thick! Since the screen is glued to the digitiser, I'd find it had to believe one could get shattered glass removed from it without cracking the digitiser. I'll let you all know because I am going to try it today since I have nothing to lose.

Incidentally, the powering off/on bit was due to the power button having crushed from impact. I thought at first it was just due to a combination of case distortion and the deformed button, but after taking the phone apart a second time post-reassembly (it was doing the same power cycling) I removed the combination switch ribbon cable and found the little switch non-clicky. Now all is well.

God be praised!  :-D

From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)26 Mar 2015 13:16
To: fixrman 2 of 5
quote: fixrman
I feel that the cases take away from the function of the phone. I like naked, the more naked, the better.

I too like to keep it real. I hate it when cases, screens, and batteries get in the way. This is my phone:

To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 3 of 5
You are such a dick.  LOL But I did laugh out loud, so thanks for that.  LMAO

Except I remember your hands being a bit more calloused and rough.
Message 41447.4 was deleted
To: Al JunioR (53NORTH) 5 of 5
I think part of the problem is that Motorola runs the glass to the edge of the phone trying for as much real estate as possible. A silicone ribbon seal between bezel edge and glass would do wonders.