Want an AV. Receiver but don't want surround sound

To: koswix 8 of 27
Onkyo seem pretty popular and I remember when I was looking fairly priced. No issues with mine. Got a reasonable deal on it a few years ago. Never actually bought a decent speaker setup though.
To: ANT_THOMAS 9 of 27
Cool. I'll decide if I can face spending the money next week.
To: koswix 10 of 27
Onkyo was and is a good brand, I wish I had purchased their 6 disc CD player years ago.
To: fixrman 11 of 27
6 discs at once? That'd sound horrible.
To: koswix 12 of 27
Oh, brother.  (fail)
To: ALL13 of 27
Damnit, I'm sure that amp was £150 when I looked at it originally. £180 now :(
To: koswix 14 of 27
Or there's this one for £185, with NETWORK AND ANDROID APPPP1!!!1

http://www.richersounds.com/showclearanceproduct/YAMA-RXV477-BLK/Yamaha+Rxv477.html
To: koswix 15 of 27
That says £205 here. Are you reading these properly?
To: milko 16 of 27
VIP club.
To: ANT_THOMAS 17 of 27
What, Kos is a VIP? Pffffff
To: milko 18 of 27
I joined when I got my amp. Meant I got whatever percent they were offering at the time, plus another £10 and it was on sale. I don't think the guys behind the counter (I actually went into a real shop!!) appreciated all the reductions I got.
To: milko 19 of 27
Like Ant says, I'm a VIP so get 10% off on clearance items.
To: koswix 20 of 27
Stop dithering and get some beats :@

Also, I've been put off Onkyo because of past overheating and HDMI board issues - but they might've fixed that nowadays...
To: Serg (NUKKLEAR) 21 of 27
So you're saying get the yamaha? Are they any good? I thought they made motorbikes.
To: koswix 22 of 27
I think they make so many things, even they've probably lost track - musical instruments, motorbikes, ATVs, electronics... Mind you at least they're not Samsung, those guys make rather large boats (e.g.: ferries) as well  :-&

Anyway in terms of being a fanboi, I tend to prefer Yamaha to Onkyo and DM (Denon-Marantz, same mothership); but if you go quite a bit further up, then Anthem and a few others rear their head as well.
To: Serg (NUKKLEAR) 23 of 27
I just want my music to sound good and be able to hear the dialogue in 5.1 sources, where both sky box and raspberry pi fuck up the down mix so much I have to adjust the volume every two minutes.
To: koswix 24 of 27
Yeah, pretty much any current-ish AVR should be able to down-mix 5.1 or 7.1 or whatever into a 2.0 output, plus apply any "creative" EQ / effects you may want - like dynamic volume which makes quiet bits louder and loud bits quieter, good for watching poorly mastered/encoded stuff or late night viewing.
To: Serg (NUKKLEAR) 25 of 27
Is Harmon Kardon now crap? They once made good receivers and such but now I think they are just off-sourced Chinese crap.
To: fixrman 26 of 27
Hmmh, it depends... they did recently make some rather good two-channel (stereo) receivers, the HK990 and HK3390 of which the former was quite remarkable, but their more recent surround AVRs are a bit "meh" - totally decent, but none of them made me think "yeah, I'll take that over the equivalent Yamaha". Mind you this is all from reading online and some very very brief hands-on, so I may well be wrong!

To be honest, what really puts me off Onkyo is the slew of HDMI board failures and overheating issues that they've had with their AVRs, which has kept happening for many generations. I also prefer the more natural sound of Yamaha - each manufacturer does do some degree of sound signature tuning on their devices, and the amp/processing tech that each of them choose also has some degree of impact on that. In an ideal world they should all sound the same and not "colour" the sound in any way, but we don't live in that ideal world.
To: Serg (NUKKLEAR) 27 of 27
Hmmm. Why does the Quote box not work?

>> In an ideal world they should all sound the same and not "colour" the sound in any way<<

I agree. If I want to colour the music, I can do that. I shouldn't need special effects in order for the sound to be reproduced. I have an old Pioneer AVR, a VSX5300. It was a nice unit, very early Surround Sound. So early in fact, it doesn't even have a powered centre output, so one either needs a powered centre or an amp. I decided to get a non-powered speaker and use a Rockford Fosgate single channel 50W amp to power it and it sounded pretty good. If I wanted better or more prominent dialogue, I could adjust the gain on the centre amp separately and all was well. The sub had to be [self] powered off one of the front channels because there was no sub output either.