Router, Routers Everywhere...

To: ALL1 of 29
To a networking bod, this will likely be a daft question.

I'm getting a D-Link DIR-860L as my current router (a Huwai thing) as supplied by my ISP is too locked down for my liking and, although it works, is pretty dated tech-wise.

Now, originally the plan was to do a straight out replacement (luckily my ISP are kind enough to post all the required info in a FAQ for using your own router), but a thought occurs...please correct me if I'm wrong.

My current router is plugged into an extension socket in my office at home...makes sense as that's where most of my equipment is. Now, instead of replacing the router in there, could I simply put the new router into the master socket and use both at the same time?

Foolhardy or not?
EDITED: 21 Nov 2014 11:26 by JESUSONEEZ
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)21 Nov 2014 11:27
To: Queeg 500 (JESUSONEEZ) 2 of 29
Are you asking whether you can use one router to go through another? Why would you even want to do that?
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 3 of 29
I don't think so...I suppose what I'm asking is can I have two routers logged into my ISP at the same time?

For reasons of increased wireless coverage and giving me more wired networking options in two rooms.
To: Queeg 500 (JESUSONEEZ) 4 of 29
No.

Plug the new router into the master socket so you actually get the full speed of your connection (unless the extension causes no drop in speed).

Preferably you'd have some ethernet cable between the location of the master socket and the office.

You may well be able to use the old router as a network switch by turning off all the DHCP and ISP settings and not having the phoneline plugged into it.
EDITED: 21 Nov 2014 11:39 by ANT_THOMAS
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 5 of 29
What you're saying is actually sort of sensible in this kind of case if the ISP does lock down the modem - virgin media cable is a popular one. You set their thing to be modem mode and use your own better router as a router.

What he's saying, I dunno m8 it sounds like it's unlikely to work to me.
To: Queeg 500 (JESUSONEEZ) 6 of 29
Actually, that router isn't an ADSL router. You'd need a router/modem to plug that in to.
To: ANT_THOMAS 7 of 29
Thought it might have been wishful thinking.

I'm using Devolo Powerline plugs to get my networking from the office to the living room which has been brilliant, although I may well put the new router on the master socket and move some of the Powerlines around...thinking about it, most of the networking activity is in the living room these days, so that may make more sense.

Thanks.
To: ANT_THOMAS 8 of 29
Well...shit.
To: Queeg 500 (JESUSONEEZ) 9 of 29
You can't n have them both logged into the ISP at the same time because

a) dsl doesn't work like that

and b) the new router you've ordered doesn't have an ADSL modem built in.

If it's too late to change your order, you'll need to connect the ISP supplied thing to your phone line, turn off wifi etc., and plug your new router into the ISP jobby.
EDITED: 21 Nov 2014 11:56 by KOSWIX
To: koswix 10 of 29
It was a new DSL modem/router I wanted so hopefully I can cancel/send it back. Don't know what the hell I was thinking.

This would be a better bet then, only missing Wireless AC which I'm not that fussed about.
To: Queeg 500 (JESUSONEEZ) 11 of 29
Plenty of other router manufacturers out there.
To: ANT_THOMAS 12 of 29
Any recommendations?
To: Queeg 500 (JESUSONEEZ) 13 of 29
The last one I bought must be coming up for 10 years old. It's still going strong at my mum's house to provide wifi for her tablet.

That was a linksys.
To: koswix 14 of 29
Thinking about it, I thought there's no way that wireless G could be that old. Turns out it is. Fuck me, what did we do before WiFi?

To: Queeg 500 (JESUSONEEZ) 15 of 29
Well I recently bought a Buffalo router because I could install dd-wrt on it and the WiFi on the Virgin Superhub was flaky, that seems to be ticking along nicely. A lot of people seem to like Netgear and Linksys.

In the past I've generally just used the ISP routers. The BeThere and Sky routers have been fairly decent.

The only one I've had issues with was a D-Link router about 10 years ago because it couldn't cope with too many connections (torrents flooding it), but that was ages ago so I doubt it's an issue with modern D-Link stuff.
To: ALL16 of 29
I thought it sounded like he just wanted to use the old as a switch?  Maybe I misunderstand the question?  If that is what he wants to do that's possible...
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 17 of 29
Quote: Me...earlier
Now, originally the plan was to do a straight out replacement
I would have done the straight replacement, then essentially had a spare router with two phone sockets...hence the original question.
To: ANT_THOMAS 18 of 29
I bunged dd-wrt onto an "acquired" Linksys WRT54GL in order to provide a wireless bridge in my living room, since neither my Sky+ box nor my Raspberry Pi have built-in wireless support. My main router is just the standard Sky hub and it works a treat for on demand and streaming videos to the Pi. Still might upgrade the bits at some point though as the setup does choke a bit with high-def stuff unfortunately.
To: Dave!! 19 of 29
I was initally looking at Open-WRT because it supported my TP-Link AP, didn't realise dd-wrt supported so many routers, loads!
To: ALL20 of 29
So what's the cheapest dd-wrt compatible router these days? I fancy replacing my stupid sky booster with a proper Bridge setup so that the wifi isn't being repeated.

Or should I just get a 4 port switch and a couple of these home plug doodads?