Advice from furrners & Merkans pls

To: Manthorp 9 of 23
If it's through the browser, Zenmate is a Chrome app that sorts that out. I doubt it would affect iPlayer, though.
To: patch 10 of 23
Patch: I'll tell her.
Smiffy: as nobody has ever spent more than five minutes in The Space, it's hard to tell. Total bloody white elephant.
To: Manthorp 11 of 23
Its not completely free of technical know how, as it requires you to change your DNS sever addresses*, but we very much like Unblock-us. We use it to access Netflix US, HBO Go, Showtime, AMC etc. from here in blighty and it all works wonderfully.

Full list of their supported services, including BBC iPlayer are here.

Being a DNS solution, it can be applied to your PC or to the entire network by changing the DNS servers in your router and requires no software be installed.

Free one month trial too.

* And log into their website if your IP changes, but that bit is easy.
To: Matt 12 of 23
Thanks Matt, I'll pass on Unblock-us as well.
To: Manthorp 13 of 23
I'm not of furrner stock, but when I'm travelling I (and some of my collegues) use Proxpn.com, it gives me local breakout in multiple countries including the uk with bandwidth enough for streaming iplayer etc.

BBC haven't marked it as a bad IP yet but they probably will eventually get around to it.

To: Manthorp 14 of 23
I used Hola last time I was in France and it was excellent for iPlayer.
EDITED: 20 Nov 2014 17:31 by WILLIAMA
To: ALL15 of 23
Thanks Mizzy & WmA - I'll pass them both on.
Message 41272.16 was deleted
To: Manthorp Al JunioR (53NORTH) 17 of 23
He has a good point.

That and satbeams.com will give satellite footprints to see if they can actually pickup the signal in their area.

Then they'd need a big enough dish, box etc. Could well be too much hassle because it certainly wouldn't be like getting conventional broadcast TV.
To: ALL18 of 23
Ta both.  I think Jane went with Milko's suggestion, but I will pass it on - might beworth it in the long term.
To: Manthorp 19 of 23
If she uses Firefox, there's a MediaHint plug-in that works great for accessing iPlayer. She can download it from here, then just drag it into any open Firefox window. She will need to changer her privacy settings to "always use private browsing" otherwise it won't work properly. That's under the History option - change to custom settings and then tick the private browsing option. Of course, how well it streams will depend on her connection, but it does let you access iPlayer.
To: ALL20 of 23
I've just been asked about Hola, but with the limit of my knowledge being that it's excellent for iPlayer in France, I'm not sure how to respond.

Any reasons I should recommend tunnelbear/zenmate/unblock-us/proxpn/mediahint/other instead?

EDITED: 9 Dec 2014 23:52 by BOUGHTONP
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 21 of 23
I've been using Hola in Marrakech and it worked more or less fine.  Once in a while you had to load a new IP address, but generally it was great.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)10 Dec 2014 21:23
To: Manthorp 22 of 23
quote: Manthorp
I've been using Hola in Marrakech

I misread that as 'I've been using (a) hole in Marrakech', which in your case gave me no pause for thought whatsoever.

To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 23 of 23
Tricky to find any hole in Marrakech that's not for hire.