Cardboard

To: ALL1 of 68
My Google Cardboard arrived yesterday!  I finally took the time to assemble it, but I'm having a little issue with the lenses staying put right now.  I can't test it because my Nexus 7 is too fucking big :(

I'll have to wait until I get home and use the old S3.

Did anyone else get or make one?  They look pretty stupid, but from what I hear it's amazing.  Can't wait!
Attachments:
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 2 of 68
Looked interesting but my Oculus Rift DK2 finally turned up so I have been playing with that.
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 3 of 68
How is it?
To: koswix 4 of 68
Elite Dangerous is amazing, it was made for the OR. Half life 2 is broken and vomit inducing and pretty much everything else I have tried to far (mainly roller coasters) has been with a hangover, which I really don't recommend as it took nearly 30 minutes last night to start feeling normal again, I had to rip the headset off at one point to stop me hurling. 

There is no doubt that it is for development but the hardware is rock solid and the drivers are mature enough now for it to be reasonably plug and play. As I said, I have either been drinking or recovering from a hangover since I got it on Friday so hopefully tonight I can have a proper play without already feeling like crap. Elite Dangerous has been built with the OR in mind but FPS games are going to need to be tweaked and in some cases changed to work well with the headset. 

Now I just need to start on my game (RUN!!!) once I have spent some time on the Unity tutorial.

I would wait for the consumer unit, and I think I might a bit longer after launch so the devs can get the games to be a little less vomit inducing.
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 5 of 68
Sounds fun. I'd quite like one.
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 6 of 68
Do you normally suffer from forms of motion sickness?
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 7 of 68
Have you done much with Unity? I'm just trying it out now and going through some tutorials. It uses C# (as well as JS/Boo) which is handy.
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 8 of 68
Have you tried anything else yet? And specifically anything that doesn't require a fancy graphics card?

Our DK2 arrived at work today, but the machine it's currently connected to ain't very powerful. :(

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 9 of 68
"at work". What happened to the CF self employment thing? Where are you at now?

Re: the actual question you asked, I hear that Richard Burns Rally has been modded to work with the Rift and due to being old is quite undemanding while also being a really impressive example.
To: milko 10 of 68
You asked the question I was going to ask.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 11 of 68
I have not touched it for a while due to uni work. I only manage to play E:D in drips and drabs. I have a break from Uni work and 2 weeks off over Christmas so hopefully pick it up again then.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 12 of 68
Mostly E:D at the moment. Tried HL2 and could only cope with 15 minutes of play. A few different roller coasters which are ok for one lap then you feel sick. There are a few amazing demos where you just sit back and relax that aren't too vomit inducing. 

Mostly of the time is spent trying not to throw up, I am still getting my VT legs as they call it.

You do need a powerful machine or you experience even worse motion sickness when the frame rate drops below 72fps, the smoother the better is the key to not spewing!

I am still wondering if its actually going to get big. I know its dev kit for the moment but it take a lot of fiddling to get most things working, the biggest exception is E:D which works pretty much out of the box. I am hoping the consumer version is light years ahead of the current DK2, it better be or it will only be used my enthusiasts and roller coaster fans!
To: milko 13 of 68

Oh, I thought I'd mentioned that before. Short version: not enough clients and a recruiter pointed me at a position for a local place that had a nice vibe, no stupid bureaucracy, and where the CEO orders Oculus and Google Glass because ... well if we have them then maybe someone might figure out something that can be done with them. Been there about a year and a half now.

Thanks, Richard Burns Rally sounds just the thing... but not sure it's going to work...

From kegetys.fi/oculus-rift-mod-for-richard-burns-rally:
> It does not work with direct-to-rift mode for some reason so even the DK2 needs to be in extended mode.

I think we've only got direct-to-rift mode working; with extended mode the tracking wasn't working right. Will give it a try anyway though.

EDITED: 13 Nov 2014 00:40 by BOUGHTONP
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 14 of 68
I don't get the vomit thing at all. With the first version, about one in three people had bad nausea and stuff, a similar amount were fine, and the rest were somewhere in the middle - just a bit queasy for a short while.

This version seems smoother / less severe, though obviously not tried as much yet, but if the consumer version is improved as much again as this seems to be I think it'll be ok.

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 15 of 68
Is that game where you're a dolphin and you are in dolphin school at your desk doing a test and you have to look at the other dolphins' answers when the teacher isn't looking, is that one out yet? 
To: milko 16 of 68
How do dolphins sit?

I've not heard of that one, though there was another one where you're just at a desk and can look around - no dolphins or cheating.

I saw something today about a Mozilla JS plugin thing that can work with Cinema 4D scenes in the browser... not yet looked into details, but it does mean if I ever get my website done it should be relatively simple to add a Rift mode, which is cool.

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 17 of 68
http://classroomaquatic.com/

All your answers within.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 18 of 68
See what happens when you don't visit us regularly?  How can we live our lives not knowing if you are OK?
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 19 of 68
AND WHAT PIZZA TOPPING HE WANTS!? 
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 20 of 68
I don't think we will ever know!