AC Adapter Question

To: Dan (HERMAND) 31 of 40
I didn't write it, mate. I only knows what happens when one uses the little charger on an iPad. Apparently /those/ folks looked into it, I haven't the time. Folks are free to fuck up their electronics as they please, if they will. I value them too much.
To: koswix 32 of 40
I am not arguing theories or principles. I merely said in the event that an adapter not designed well (there are tolerances, you know) it could cause undesirable effects. Since i have no intention of testing "incorrect" adapters on any of my electronics, it doesn't matter.

Here's what will mattter: If the wife, daughter or son, who has been instructed on which charger to use, refuses and uses an incorrect charger in either device and it fails, it WILL NOT be replaced with our money. It is my kingdom so I get to make the rules. It's good to be the king.  ;-)
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)19 Oct 2014 14:02
To: fixrman 33 of 40
I think the point is that the part highlighted in red is taken out of context, particularly in terms of the first half of the sentence. Reading it another way, if the circuits were exposed to 2A they'd be damaged, but that doesn't happen because of all the other stuff.

But it doesn't hurt just to use the proper charger anyway.
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 34 of 40
It does when the proper charger is all the way over there, and a compatible one is right beside you. :C
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)19 Oct 2014 15:23
To: koswix 35 of 40
Depends on whether "all the way over there" means the other side of the room, in which case get off your fat arse you lazy fekker, or the other side of the pond, in which case GPWM.
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 36 of 40
Aye. If I could do nothing else and had to do it, perhaps I would. If I don't, then I'll just use the proper one.  ;-)
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 37 of 40
Other end of the sofa normally :$
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)19 Oct 2014 21:18
To: koswix 38 of 40
At least you have the good nature to be embarrassed about that! :)
To: koswix 39 of 40
I've found a number of Canon compact cameras that run on 3.7/4.2V lithium batteries run fine on 5V. They may get slightly hotter but I hadn't noticed and I used this voltage to power my road trip time lapse camera the other year without any issues.
To: ANT_THOMAS 40 of 40
That makes sense.

Lithium batteries (as found in phones, cameras etc) generally output between 3.7 and 4.3 volts, depending on the current charge level. As you use the battery the voltage goes down. And yet you charge the vast majority of devices via 5v USB.

I suspect that the direct voltage from most of the batteries is fairly useless (because it's vsriable) and so anything using lithium would need onload voltage regulation to get something a bit more constant.