Audio System

To: ALL1 of 48
I might be able to find some info on this using Google but I don't know how to word it...

I want to make an audio system in my house, garage, and around the house outside and I want it to know where I am and move the audio to that location.  It could use my phones bluetooth or something like that to see where I am.  Is there anything like that available?  I see Sonos does this, but you have to use their controller to switch rooms or so I've read.  I could use a few Raspi's or Arduino's if that would make it happen.

So anyone have any idea how I can accomplish this?  Or have you seen a project that already does it that I can use?

TA!
To: ALL2 of 48
I have no answers, but I would like to do the same with lights (don't do music)

I'm only commenting so I remember to check back to see what answers you get
To: JonCooper 3 of 48
As in regular lights?

Maybe PIR sensors/switches will do the job.
To: ANT_THOMAS 4 of 48
I'd prefer it to be a bit smarter than that, Ideally I'd like it to work out the direction I'm heading in and have the lights on when I get there

(wife's epilepsy is a bit photosensitive so PIR is a non-starter, she can go over from a single flash)
To: JonCooper 5 of 48
I am sorry about your wife's E, Jon; my daughter has it, medically intractable so it is a hard road for her.
To: fixrman 6 of 48
it's not much fun, but on the brighter side she is down from up to 20 seizures a day 20 years ago to 2-3 a week now

sorry to hear about your daughter, it's a shit condition that nobody seems to know much about
To: JonCooper 7 of 48
How do you mean photosensitive to PIR?

Does she have an issue with Burglar Alarm sensors?
To: ANT_THOMAS 8 of 48
I mean a PIR will turn a light on suddenly right where she is, and that can (often) trigger a siezure
To: JonCooper 9 of 48
Ah right, I get it now.

Is she better with "soft-start" dimmed lights which go from 0%-100% gradually? Rather than instant on?
To: ANT_THOMAS 10 of 48
yes, but I didn't know they existed until yesterday - going to look into changing quite a few of ours
To: JonCooper 11 of 48
You might find a lot of dimmer switches don't work with energy saving bulbs if you use them.

Incandescents and halogens generally work fine. Or you can buy special dimmable LED or CFLs but they start costing quite a lot - but may be worth it in your case.
To: ANT_THOMAS 12 of 48
we were in the hospital yesterday and found a lot of lights that came on quite dim but brightened to full power reasonably quickly (not like energy bulbs that take forever to 'warm up')

I'm going to find out more about them and change a few of ours, see how she gets on with those 

currently we have the kids and most people we know trained to tell her before turning on any lights, so she can look away, some lights are never off
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 13 of 48
I've already got this setup, and additionally it can play separate music for different people. Can even have two or more people in one location, each with their own zoned music that doesn't interfere with others in the room.

It's an off the shelf system based around these badboys: https://www.dropbox.com/s/duyam06nbashome/m.jpg?dl=0
To: JonCooper 14 of 48
Quite agreed. I have to say that some of the best medications for it come from the U.K. for which we have been thankful. It is very under-studied and under researched despite being possibly the oldest of afflictions known to man.

It is tough for kids who have E because they are often ostracised by their friends and makes being a kid difficult. Ours had as many as 13 throughout the night starting from just days before being 12 and possibly four through the day. Medically managed, they occur only at night, and medical control had been good up until late August.

Did she ever try a ketogenic diet? There has been a lot of success with that and we were going to do it when she was about 13 or 14 but she was controlled at the time and we were afraid to mess with success, Unfortunately, they tried weaning and breakthroughs brought us back to medications once again.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 15 of 48
Hire a minstrel/bard?
To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 16 of 48
Do they still make these? I used to think that's what people meant when they talked about black & white minstrels (I WAS LITTLE, LEAVE ME ALONE!) :$ :$ :$
To: koswix 17 of 48
:D
To: koswix 18 of 48
That's not what I'm looking for!  I'm sick of carrying my phone or tablet around with me.  I have a bluetooth headset and I'm even finding that a pain in the ass.

I've found a solution that will take care of the zoning and pushing music over the network to each Pi.  Now I just need to think about how I can achieve making it follow me around.  Like John, I'd like to predict where I'm going to be based on where I am and the direction I'm moving.  There are motion and distance modules for Arduino and I'd imagine a combination of the two would do what I want.  I would image they could be made to work on a Pi.  Thoughts?
To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 19 of 48
Are you for hire?
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 20 of 48
Actually, that might work. Set him up in your basement with a control box (and extra venting for the cigarette smoke) and then just make sure everyone is the house walks in a loud and distinctive way.