The natives are getting restless

Message 41190.31 was deleted
To: Al JunioR (53NORTH) 32 of 189
In the poll or the referendum?
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 33 of 189
I saw some "Vote No for social justice" campaigners on Sauchiehall street the other day. Turned out they were the communist party or something similar. I felt bad, because pretty much everyone up here who is voting for social justice, rather than voting out of fear, is voting Yes.
To: koswix 34 of 189
Meh - property prices in Edinburgh will always do OK. Bear in mind that if the economy crashes, it'll suddenly become cheaper to do all the stuff which got outsourced to India, and you could find yourself back out at the Gyle, clearing laundered money for Mexican cartels or whatever it is that the banks do these days. Also - vote Yes so that you can look your son in the eye and tell him that you didn't succumb to Project Fear.
To: Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ) 35 of 189
Aye, I think if your goal is to do the most potential good for the most people 'Yes' makes far more sense. Though I do appreciate the ideological point of the hard left.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 36 of 189
I think it's indicative of a certain kind of hard-left thinking that they haven't actually considered that they are in a position where they have the possibility that their actions could really make a change.

I started off as a No-leaning "don't know" - I have an English girlfriend who works a lot in Scotland, and my work means I spend large chunks of time in the offices of financial institutions in England. Chances are that that will all change in the event of independence. In theory, it should be in my best interests to vote No, but the more I see and hear, the more I realise that I am a Yes voter.

Also, Chuck D says Yes.
EDITED: 13 Sep 2014 02:50 by WINGNUTKJ
To: Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ) 37 of 189
Quote: 
I think it's indicative of a certain kind of hard-left thinking that they haven't actually considered that they are in a position where they have the possibility that their actions could really make a change.

Haha. I'm sure that's part of it. I do sympathise though, I don't like the idea of further dividing us up, creating more borders and artificial distinctions between the people over here and the people over there. The more we think of ourselves as similar and as belonging to the same community the better, I think.

But yeah, the border already exists, independence just recognises that, it doesn't create extra division it just recognises that one exists and tries to handle it better. The best rational Yes argument is that Scotland votes differently to England and independence would give you the government you want (and one which would actually put your interests and requirements first).

(Personally I'm more swayed by the emotional stuff. It's about the dignity and self-respect that comes with self-determination).

edit: Oh and the Chuck D thing is great, will be sharing that.
EDITED: 13 Sep 2014 03:08 by X3N0PH0N
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)13 Sep 2014 08:15
To: Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ) 38 of 189
Which led me to this!
To: koswix 39 of 189
I'm really hoping Scotland votes Yes and does a really good job of running a more just society and fair government. Then more people in England see that and think "I want our government to be that good" and we actually do something about it and vote a good government in. Or at least force better policies.
To: ANT_THOMAS 40 of 189
Amen brother.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 41 of 189
I've lived most of my life under a government I've either not voted for myself or that my family hasn't voted for. Scotland buggering off to be independent makes that more likely to happen. So that, for me, is a crap argument to use in favour of independence. It would be interesting to see how many Scottish yes voters were in favour of changing the voting system in the uk.
To: johngti_mk-ii 42 of 189
It's a good argument *for Scotland*. We don't get a vote, like.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 43 of 189
It's not just about Scotland though is it. This decision will affect the rest of us too. And while the no campaign has been fucktardidly negative, the yes campaign has reeked of "we don't vote for the Tories, we're going to fuck off and take what we want from the rest of you and to hell with it all because we don't like it. And if you don't give us what we want, well fuck you all in the ear". The whole process has been as far from edifying and positive as anything I can think of in recently. At least when devolution was discussed and voted in the positives were argued for effectively. This just stinks.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)13 Sep 2014 10:18
To: johngti_mk-ii 44 of 189
Post #6
EDITED: 13 Sep 2014 10:19 by MR_BASTARD
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 45 of 189
Not that devolution. The 1998 debate. That was good. This is all shit.

I've always been happy to describe myself as British but the whole Englishness thing has got out of hand. Might have to be welsh from now on.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)13 Sep 2014 12:03
To: johngti_mk-ii 46 of 189
OK, I have no idea what you're talking about.

I prefer to think of myself as English rather than British.
To: ALL47 of 189
Message 41190.48 was deleted
To: johngti_mk-ii 49 of 189
Quote: 
It's not just about Scotland though is it. This decision will affect the rest of us too.
It is just about Scotland in that Scotland is deciding what is best for Scotland. It affects us, of course, but we've had our chance. After decades (or centuries) of misrule and negligence one can hardly blame them for not being overly concerned with how their decision will affect us.

I think you're mis-characterising the Yes campaign. From what I've seen it's about having a government for Scotland which is appropriate to Scotland and acts in Scotland's interests.

Also the idea that the rest of the UK would have a permanent Tory government is a bit bollocks after looking into it a bit. We're losing 59 parliamentary seats out of 650 (before the inevitable restructuring). That would've changed the result of very few recent elections.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 50 of 189
Bollocks. Until thatcher, the scots voted in their droves for a Conservative party so if they've been the victim of decades of misrule, it's as much Scottish voters' fault as the rest of the uk. And centuries? Because, of course, the working class/women/minorities in England have had the vote for centuries and absolutely condemned Scotland to poverty.

I don't believe for a minute that Scotland has suffered any more than vast tracts of Northern England, wales, the midlands, etc. separating out Scotland for special consideration is a nonsense. Fuck it, let's just have a revolution.