Best multifunction printer

To: ALL1 of 23
My trusty HP 2310 has spat out half a cog & died. I could usefully print out the occasional A3 poster, so what's the best value multifunction inkjet A3 printer and why?
EDITED: 7 Aug 2014 14:18 by MANTHORP
To: Manthorp 2 of 23
Printing things! That's quite niche nowadays. Especially at A3. I haven't a clue. Do review sites and magazine sites still talk about such things?
To: Manthorp 3 of 23
I have an HP mfp, it's OK I guess. It was given to me and I've not used it for much but it seemed alright when I have printed photos and stuff.

Last year I bought a Canon colour laser, so that gets my main printing jobs now. Since buying it (60 quid) and a replacement toner (40 quid) I reckon I'm about even with what I would have spent on print credit at uni, but with the added bonus that I don't have to go to a stupid computer lab to print shit out. Oh, and it's wireless so can print from phone/tablet etc.

Not that any of that is any use to you.
To: Manthorp 4 of 23
Oh, I'd also say avoid Epson. My aunt gave me an a3 Epson that she'd had for just over a year. It stopped working because the firmware said the splashy ink sponge thing was full (she's a photographer so does print a lot). It was going to cost so much for a 'service' to reset the counter and change the sponge that it made more sense to buy a newer, different make printer.

I did find a utility that claimed to reset the counter for a fee, but I ended up stripping it for parts instead.
To: ALL5 of 23
Ta all.  What do we think of Canons?  Especially for day-to-day printing?
To: Manthorp 6 of 23
I like my Canon (YJ).

From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 8 Aug 2014 09:35
To: Manthorp 7 of 23
I misread this as "what's the best malfunctioning printer?"

The answer to which is, of course, "none of them, they're all b0rked, innit?"
To: Manthorp 8 of 23
I've had Epson & Canon A3 photo printers (not multifunction). They lasted 2-3 years, the OEM ink was insanely expensive, and clogging and cleaning (which wastes a huge amount of ink) was a constant issue, eventually they became hopelessly, irretrievably clogged and had to be junked. The Canon has a replaceable head, which costs almost as much as a new printer. It might be cheaper and less hassle to send out stuff for printing.
EDITED: 8 Aug 2014 11:26 by DSMITHHFX
To: ALL9 of 23
For day to day stuff, I don't think you can beat a good quality laser MFP. You'll struggle to get A3, though :(
To: ALL10 of 23
Gone for an HP7610 in the end.  For the mixture of business use & artfaggery I do, it ended up being almost no contest - the only other contender being the Canon iX8750.  But the HP came cheaper & had an A3 scanner built in, to boot.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 11 of 23
I have an Epson A3 printer and it has never been used to print anything A3 size. I even have paper for it. Inks are a silly price. It's not been used for about a year and I tried to use it last month and the black won't print. Clogged head. Bums.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 12 of 23
Yeah you can't let em go for much more than a month without printing or the ink dries out in the nozzles. then it's fuxored. They can do amazing photo-real printing though, and it's great to fine-tune colors if you can afford it. You really have a lot more control than you would in a traditional color darkroom.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 13 of 23
It is indeed a fantastic printer. I just wish the ink cost less than it does.

I tried cleaning the heads lots of times with no luck. I might have to look into buying a head cleaning kitten which comes with a syringe and to squirt through the nozzle to unblock it.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 14 of 23
A kitten? I'm calling the RSPCA.
To: milko 15 of 23
Oh no, not again :O

Yes, grind up a kitten, mix it with water, put the mix into a syringe and squirt into the printer. Problem solved.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 8 Aug 2014 23:00
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 16 of 23
You have to cover it in clay and bake it in the oven first. This allows you to remove the fur so that it doesn't gunk up the printer head.

You could use depilatory cream, but baking also dries the kitten out, thereby making grinding easier.

HTH
EDITED: 8 Aug 2014 23:01 by MR_BASTARD
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 17 of 23
Try a mix of ethyl alcohol (the high proof stuff) and glass cleaner (ammonia) squirted into the nozzles with a syringe and leave it overnight, then run some cleaning routines from the driver. Sometimes it works. After a year though, chances aren't real good.
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 18 of 23
OK, this may seem gratuitous, but if you make a stupid video of the kitten first and post in the interwebs, um... never mind.
To: ALL19 of 23
I've just bought a set of replacement carts for my Epson, crazy pricing !

Genuine brand new Epsons £12 each, full set (pack of four) £24.
Tescos own brand (recycled genuine epsons), £9 each or £45 pack of four !!!

How can reconditioned carts cost more than brand new ones, and how can it be cheaper to buy each colour seperately than as a set ?

Anyone know of a cheap printer that doesn't have chips on the carts and can be refilled like the good ol days ? My local refilling place will do them, AT MORE THAN THE COST OF A NEW CARTRIDGE !
EDITED: 9 Aug 2014 19:17 by CYNICOID
To: cynicoid 20 of 23
Might be different now but I used to have a little chip reseting device for an old Epson printer.