Virginmedia

To: ALL1 of 23
I'm yet to have the broadband fitted but after ordering they have already annoyed me :(

Strict password requirements.

How to choose a strong and secure password

To improve the security of your account, we recommend that you choose a 'strong' password.

Strong passwords use a combination of uppercase and lowercase letters, and numbers. This makes it very difficult for automated programs and hackers to guess your password.

Your password must:

• be between 8 and 10 characters long
  • begin with a letter
  • consist of only letters and numbers (no special character like #&@*)
  • contain a combination of upper and lower case letters
  • contain at least one number
  • not contain words from the dictionary
  • not contain 3 numbers or more in a row

The longer the password is, the less likely it is that someone else will be able to guess it or otherwise find out what it is.

10 characters isn't long. No special characters either?

Their response -

@ant_thomas Hi Anthony, sorry about the frustration, it's just the maximum length on our system right now :) MC

— Virgin Media (@virginmedia) June 16, 2014

(I guess the twitter embed code doesn't work too well)
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)16 Jun 2014 13:35
To: ANT_THOMAS 2 of 23
At least they give you the criteria upfront. What I really hate is those sites that ask you to submit a password with no indication on the restrictions that they've established.

So you submit "pretty password", which it rejects because you don't have a combination of upper and lower case letters.

So you submit "Pretty Password", which it rejects because you don't have a combination of letters and numbers.

So you submit "Pr3tty P4ssw0rd", which it rejects because you don't have any non-alphanumerics.

So you submit "SHOVE IT UP YOUR ARSE YOU FUCKING RETARDS" and go elsewhere.
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 3 of 23
True, but I had to search for that.
To: ANT_THOMAS 4 of 23
Stop your whinging, thy sent you a smiley face in their response, what more do you want?

To be fair, I've been with Virgin for nearly 6 years at two addresses and apart from some confusion over our moving date they've been great. The last three times I've had to ring them I've had a tivo box, a new router and a reduction in price. S'all subjective, o'course, if I hadn't have spoken to them they'd have continued to happily take my monthly subscription at a higher price and no give me shiny boxes.

How many points are you planning on having fitted?
EDITED: 16 Jun 2014 15:30 by GRAPHITONE
To: graphitone 5 of 23
I didn't want to pay the installation cost so rang up, got it half price which wasn't too bad.

I'm only getting the broadband.

Unfortunately I might have to pipe it round the house using HomePlugs and WiFi because I think my carpet is glued down so can't really get under the floorboards to run the box of CAT6 I've bought without destroying the brand new carpet :@
To: ANT_THOMAS 6 of 23
Could you take the skirting off and run it behind that? Would be a big pain in the arse to do, but at least it'd be done for good.
To: milko 7 of 23
It's definitely an option.

I've never personally seen domestic carpet glued down but my attempts to lift in the corners of a few rooms hasn't been successful. It could just be very bloody tight and well fitted, I hope that's the case.
To: ANT_THOMAS 8 of 23
Half price? They Saw you coming!
EDITED: 16 Jun 2014 17:09 by KOSWIX
To: ANT_THOMAS 9 of 23
If pulling the skirting off isn't on the cards, could you run the cables between the skirting and the carpet strip (assuming there is one and they're not used glue there as well!) - that's what the workmen did when running the cables for our alarm.
To: graphitone 10 of 23
Cables are beautiful, and should be proudly displayed snaking hither and thither around and across the room in great coils that capture dust bunnies hippos and old newspapers.

Mrs.D says our living room looks like a warehouse.

:-{)
EDITED: 17 Jun 2014 21:31 by DSMITHHFX
To: graphitone 11 of 23
I've had to take up floorboards a couple of times where an alarm or telephone cake has been run around the edge of the carpet. It was a pain and had to be very careful not to damage the cakes.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 12 of 23
I would say you really really need to sort out your autocorrect, but it's become endearing now.
To: ALL13 of 23
Carpet only looks to be glued to the gripper rods, hopefully not a complete disaster.

Thinking steam or a solvent as long as it doesn't ruin the carpet.
To: milko 14 of 23
Hahaha. I do make a lot of mistakes when I do the swiping on the keyboard. And the plaster on my thumb isn't helping things today. But telephone cake. I want one :D
To: ANT_THOMAS 15 of 23
Never seen that before. How old is the carpet? I'd have thought steam would be ok as I believe (from what Sian said) the person who cleaned our carpet recently used a big steam machine.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 16 of 23
It is brand new, which is why I don't want to damage it.
To: ALL17 of 23
Success.
To: ANT_THOMAS 18 of 23
liquid networking?
To: ANT_THOMAS 19 of 23
Where did you get the acetone?
To: koswix milko 20 of 23
If only!

Kos: From work. You can get Acetone on eBay though if you want.