Random 404ing

To: ALL1 of 10
I deployed a well-tested new subsection of 3 web pages to a live site yesterday and after some initial, not unexpected caching issues (which quickly cleared up), the new pages were working from all browsers and OSs tested in: XP, W7, OS X, Linux (2 flavours), Android, Chrome, FF, Safari, IE 8 & 10, both at work and (later) home. I even tested it in compatibility view on IE. Still worked for me.

Then I got an email saying two of the three pages (which were all derived from the same template) are throwing 404 errors, both at the client's office and another external business network (there have been no such issues throughout testing of the new pages from our staging server to both locations).

I ran this on the web site http://www.brokenlinkcheck.com and it reported no broken links.

Anyone run into this before? It's a first for me. Could it be a caching issue (but these are new pages)? Aggressive time-out settings on the apache server (it was acting pretty slow, I suspect cheapo cloud hosting)? Firewall issue on the user end? It's just weird that one of the three new pages works, and the other two are not exactly broken, just their urls are "not found" from some, but not all external networks. I don't know how to begin troubleshooting this.
EDITED: 28 Sep 2013 12:25 by DSMITHHFX
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 2 of 10
Have they been sent links to click? Upper/lower case issue with the urls?
To: ANT_THOMAS 3 of 10
Nope, urls are fine, and I've pretty much ruled out code/server issues. They're using IE9 which I haven't been able to test against (though as mentioned it's all working from staging for them). If it hasn't cleared up by Monday, I may have to do an on-site visit to check myself what's going on.
To: ALL4 of 10
Tested in IE 7 & 9 here http://browsershots.org, and from another external network (wifi at coffee shop) All loaded it fine. Also ran it through several proxy sites, no problems.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 5 of 10
The only time I've seen something similar to this was when a sites proxy server was mashing the headers in the request. In that particular instance, it came down to a GZIP compression issue.

(For anyone who cares about the specifics, this particular site returned a GZIPed page regardless of what was asked, and the proxy server was then stripping the encoding header on the response confusing some browsers)
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 6 of 10
Perhaps you should roll back to the previous version in the git and test this fork some more.
To: koswix 7 of 10
I may wind up doing the equivalent if the issue persists on Monday.
To: ALL8 of 10
Problem solved. Added:

<script>
   $Git is for losers();
</script>

to page headers.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 9 of 10
:'D

What was the issue?
To: ANT_THOMAS 10 of 10
Turns out we were talking about two different pages with similar names and urls, and not bothering to read each others' emails or click the links in them. Neat, huh?