100% core after standby

To: ALL1 of 11
I've noticed for a bit my computer occasionally being a bit slow at doing stuff and looking at the task manager the first core of my quad core whatever Intel it is runs at 100%. It seems to be happening after standby. Restarting the computer fixes it then as soon as it comes out of standby the CPU jumps to 25% (100% on core 1)

Any ideas what might be causing this? It's only System that is using any CPU time in the task manager.
To: ALL2 of 11
Updating the graphics drivers seems to have fixed it. Thanks all! :)
To: ALL3 of 11
Ok, maybe not. Seems to be 25% CPU spread over two cores now instead.
To: ALL4 of 11
Hello,

I get this issue. I have a quad core i7. It was taskhost.exe that was hogging the processor. I had a large amount of videos on my desktop, (some over 4Gb) and it was taking an age to create a thumbnail preview. Maybe that's worth a look?

So try turning off thumbnails?

EDITED: 9 Sep 2013 17:05 by HAL9001
To: Killamarshian (HAL9001) 5 of 11
Does it only happen after standby with yours? Or boot too? Or any other time?

It's only happening after standby with mine and System is using the CPU. Using Process Explorer shows it's Interrupts that are hogging part of the processor and I think that is likely a driver issue.

I don't recall it happening before I got my new monitor, in fact I don't know when it started so it might be something to do with the USB hub on the monitor or something plugged in differently to before. Maybe.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 6 of 11
Mine is at any time.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 7 of 11
Check for a bitcoin miner virus? I have had some strange CPU GPU readings while idle recently and tracked it down to this virus. First one in a looong time no idea where it come from either, I'm normally very careful.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 8 of 11
If you open up task manager then right click the process under the processes tab there's an option to 'set affinity' which allows you to select which CPU cores to assign to that process.

There's also an option to 'set priority' which lets you choose what resources to give the process.

Might work, might not.

edit: um, just tried it on the 'system' process - access denied.
EDITED: 10 Sep 2013 03:54 by CYNICOID
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 9 of 11
I did originally think it was a virus and Sian had done something while I was in worm. Noticed some bits not usually there, htcpassthru, or something similar and another exe. They both seem genuine though and it keeps doing it after stopping those.
To: cynicoid 10 of 11
Aye, won't work on system. And its only one one core most of the time anyway. I will have to do some investigating when I can be bothered.
To: ALL11 of 11
I unplugged some USB stuff and all is fine now. Possibly my monitor or the dodgy USB 3.0 ports on the back of the computer.