Hospitals

To: ALL1 of 5
So my poor old mum who's 86 fell over and broke her hip on Wednesday. She's been in hospital since Wednesday - had an operation already - and no fucker contacted me or my brother until 19:00 today. We both phoned her and assumed she was out somewhere or hadn't heard the phone.

Whatever happened to contacting next of kin before major operations?

There are probably excellent reasons why but I just felt like letting off steam.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 2 of 5
That's a bit shit. You would think being in over 2 days someone would have let you know she was there :(
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 3 of 5
It was her neighbour in the end. She's got a key to the house and she stopped in to cancel the milk. While she was their she saw my mum's address book and just wondered if the hospital had actually contacted us.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 4 of 5
What a bunch of shits.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 5 of 5
I suspect it's down to one or two people not doing what they should. My partner has worked on surgical wards in the past and assures me that the normal policy would be to attempt to contact next of kin when somebody needs a major operation. My mother definitely knows my phone number and my brother's number off by heart - we've all been calling each other for the last 30 years - and the neighbour says she's quite cheerful and talkative. She should have to put up a major fight or give some compelling reasons to prevent them contacting us.