NFC-taggery-me-do

To: ALL1 of 35
So now that I have a shiny new S4 to play with and it can use NFC tags, I'm wondering what (if anything) you lovely people have done with them? Along the lines of turning on WiFi when you get home and all that. Chaars!
To: Serg (NUKKLEAR) 2 of 35
Have you got tags too?

I've done nothing with it ever, other than accidentally try and scan my Oyster card or something.

I don't switch wifi off, it's utterly pointless to do so. Screen use is by several factors the greatest battery eater, wifi averages around 2% for me.
To: milko 3 of 35
I haven't got tags yet, but they're easy enough to obtain. The WiFi toggery was just an example really, I don't find much use in doing it either. To be completely honest, other than making the phone switch between silent / loud and maybe having my WiFi info ready to be "captured" by a visitor, I can't think of other genuinely good uses!  :?
To: Serg (NUKKLEAR) 4 of 35
I have one in my car dock that turns wifi off and bluetooth on.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 5 of 35
whyyyyy turn the wifi off? It just means you have to remember to turn it on again when you get out (or have more tags to do it). Meanwhile it can actually assist GPS accuracy or something, while using piss-all battery!

Bluetooth for the car and pairing, that's pretty handy though, I'd like that. My problem is sometimes I want the work phone to pair and sometimes my phone, so I can't automate it as far as I know.
To: milko 6 of 35
The biggest reason is this: Join an open network called linksys, then drive around with your wifi on.  Your phone jumps on a fuck ton of networks and messes up your data connection.  It's a pain in the ass!
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 7 of 35
why would I join an open network called that? But if you do then fair enough!
To: milko 8 of 35
Mostly because people who don't have a clue don't secure their networks and when I'm in a pinch and need internet I join them.
To: ALL9 of 35
Also, is it just me or are people finally securing their networks? Or more likely, getting them supplied that way by default. I can count exactly 20 wireless networks sitting here in my living room, including mine. Only two of them are open and they're both BTWifi which I think is that shared thing that's meant to be open.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 10 of 35
Must be different for the US then - where I am people don't leave them open much and if I'm in a pinch I've got HSPA/3G/whatever.
To: milko 11 of 35
<Dons tinfoil hat>
Um this link here sort of explains why it's a good idea to turn of your wifi.

http://hakshop.myshopify.com/products/wifi-pineapple

Basically it impersonates a wifi network your phone already  knows about INCLUDING secured ones and sits in the middle of your phones conversation with the internet.

You'd be surprised at how many of these I've seen poking out of bags in coffee shops ;-)
<takes off tinfoil hat>

Marie

To: Mizzy 12 of 35
coooool!

Those guys must really be enjoying my instagrams and 'witty' tweets ;)
To: milko 13 of 35
Certainly in my apartment block block of flats there's no open ones. That's probably because there's no really long-term tenants so when they move in and join an ISP they get a WPA/WPA2 secure router.

Even WEP is thin on the ground these days. Which is unfortunate because it's relatively easy to crack.

Whereas if you were to go up and down my parents road there's plenty of Open and WEP routers.
To: milko 14 of 35
Mostly their after your usernames and passwords, apps can be remarkably lax when talking back to their respective severs.

To: Mizzy 15 of 35
duly noted. Like I say, what a cool gizmo!
To: milko 16 of 35
Yes it is isn't it, I saw it first three years ago at a security con, the presenter had a room full of people diving for their phones :-)
Mostly the tech has been available to do that on a laptop easily, but that was the first time I'd seen it in a pocketable package.
To: Mizzy 17 of 35
Yeah, I've seen that Linux thingy that sounded very similar to my layman's eye. 
To: ALL18 of 35
I've got some tags and thought I'd use them more than I do too.
One is on the back of the ipad, and switches on tethering for it. Another is in the car, switches on Bluetooth, and messages my wife to saying on the way home.
To: Radio 19 of 35
What if you're not going home? Do you have a seperate one for the way to work?
To: milko 20 of 35
I reckon wifi drains ~30-50% on my nexus 7. When I keep it turned off (except when I actually want to use it), it doesn't kill the battery in < a day.